Sharpmaker

I am considering buying a sharpmaker since I have heard so many good thingss about it on this forum, but I was wondering how good are the results you get using only the sharpmaker dry. No stropping allowed!

I have never stropped, the 204 meets my needs just fine. One of these days I will try the cardboard strop, but until now it's just the 204.

by "dry" do you mean, using oil? 'cause i'm not sure anyone uses oil with their SM. i sure don't. i also don't strop (yet -- it's on my christmas list), and i can get ALL of my knives shaving sharp. i know that's not always the best measure of sharp, but it works for me. get it -- you'll love it.

abe m.

May even work better that way for some conditions...buy it, you won't be sorry.

I have used the Sharpmaker exclusively on knives and have gotten them plenty sharp. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of people here are obsessive with their sharpening and challenge themselves to try and get the most perfect, sharpest edge (myself included). For the average person who just wants a very sharp knife to do regular things with the Sharpmaker is just fine.

I'll ocasionally strop my own edc knives but not usually.

I use the sharpmaker.

They are plenty sharp for me for defense.

Brownie

Buy a set of extra fine rods for the 204 and you will get a polished edge with almost no effort.

You can get excellent results using only the Sharpmaker (I say that even though I´ve never used one), you can also get them using only a simple hone or using only sandpaper, it has to do with technique, the Sharpmaker makes it easier to keep the angle and the rods are good material and proper grit.

You shouldn´t strop until after you´ve done a good job sharpening, you don´t really have to strop, but if you don´t you are missing something, you don´t need a leather strop, try some cardboard or folded newspaper.

Regarding extra fine rods... I didn't know there was something finer than the white rods, where do you find them?
Bob

Originally posted by rdg
Regarding extra fine rods... I didn't know there was something finer than the white rods, where do you find them?
Bob
Check out New Graham.

I have the ultra fines and they work great, but I think they're unnecessary for most people. Mine don't see much use, I just stop after the fine rods. I do use them occasionally when I want more polish.

I think it depends on the knife and steel, but you can get some amazing edges with the ultra-fine stones. Mostly I use them to restore the polished edge to customs that came that way from the maker.

Back