Sharpmakers

A while back, I recall seeing diamond coated steels that slipped over the triangle stones on the sharpmaker. Are there any of these still around, and if not, is there any chance they'd ever come about again?

They'd work real nice when breaking in a knife on the sharpmaker. Some folks just don't use the same angles...

Stryver

The Spyderco speed sleeves have been discontinued. Reports were that some users experienced that the embedded diamond dust to flake off prematurely. I' ve used my only sparingly, if and when I need to reprofile an edge angle. It is still holding up pretty well. Spyderco is currently seeking another manufacturer for any future speed sleeves. Sal may be able to update here.

L8r,
Nakano

[This message has been edited by Nakano 2 (edited 02-22-2000).]

While less convienent Joe Talmadge had an excellent idea of placing a diamond stone on the flat sided sharpmaker hones for faster removal. Check the sharpening FAQ

pat

We do have another attempt at making a diamond triangle in the works as we speak.

Vince came up with another way to try to make the base triangle and we're waiting on the machining. Hope to be able to have these for you soon. It has certainly been an inconvenience without them. (not for me, I have an original prototype set made with a solid steel triangle and it works great). We'll try to get you yours as soon as we can.

sal

How's this for a knutty idea:

With the basic sharpmaker kit you could include a few sheets of adhesive backed, extra-coarse "profiling tapes". These would be like stickers you can peel off and apply to one side of each of the triangles. When they wear out, just peel 'em off and apply new ones.

(You may donate my percentage of the proceeds to AKTI.)

David Rock

Back