shaving in ancient times

There are cave paintings from 30,000 years ago showing men without beards so either they were fanciful or they had a way to remove facial hair. I googled it and suggestions range from using flnt or obsidian to 'plucking beard hairs using two clam shells'. yow.

Moving onto the age of civilization we have proof people were shaving from 3000BC onwards, the egyptian pharoahs were even shaving their heads back then.

I have never see a bronze aged weapon( nor razor) in the flesh. Are we talking serious craftmanship and sharpening to get a piece of bronze to do this, or is it no big deal?
I am assuming being clean shaven was not something the average peasant was able to easily attain?

Are we talking serious craftmanship and sharpening to get a piece of bronze to do this, or is it no big deal?
Maybe both.

I’ve never handled a bronze blade either, but if it follows the same general rule of softer metals (eg titanium) then getting it sharp is probably not much/any more difficult than sharpening steel, but it just won’t hold an edge very well.

So definitely some knowledge and craftsmanship came into play, but it could have still been fairly commonplace.

Just yesterday I was able to shave a little bit with a kitchen knife, and I’m certainly no genius - ask anyone. :)
0A96E90A-45C4-4F70-B2DA-2DF7C5E2C61C.jpeg

There are cave paintings from 30,000 years ago showing men without beards so either they were fanciful or they had a way to remove facial hair. I googled it and suggestions range from using flnt or obsidian to 'plucking beard hairs using two clam shells'. yow.

Moving onto the age of civilization we have proof people were shaving from 3000BC onwards, the egyptian pharoahs were even shaving their heads back then.

I have never see a bronze aged weapon( nor razor) in the flesh. Are we talking serious craftmanship and sharpening to get a piece of bronze to do this, or is it no big deal?
I am assuming being clean shaven was not something the average peasant was able to easily attain?
As far a I can tell everyone was able to shave. I don't know about bronze age tools but flint and obsidian blades can easily be sharp enough. I haven't tried it myself but I have thought about it.

Not sure take two was much better.....
Neolithic man was probably much smarter and more coordinated than us ! ;)

Lots more experienced with making and using the tools and materials at hand , also .

Didn't have the internet to distract from reality . :rolleyes:

Neolithic man was probably much smarter and more coordinated than us ! ;)

Lots more experienced with making and using the tools and materials at hand , also .

Didn't have the internet to distract from reality . :rolleyes:
Yes, I would imagine if I went into straight razor shaving cold with no back ground or any guidance it probably wouldn't have worked out to well, which is really what he is doing.

It seems that shaving the head was also common among the native Americans. Which I think means they didn't shave themselves.

Disccovery: In a painting tucked away in the Vatican, preservationists have discovered what experts believe is the first ever depiction of the native Americans that Christopher Columbus encountered during his first trip to the New World

shaved heads and faces gave an advantage in battles / fights. Probably goes back a long time. According to Wikipedia, the Egyptians plucked them ritualistically…. 🙃

Last edited:
Yes, I would imagine if I went into straight razor shaving cold with no back ground or any guidance it probably wouldn't have worked out to well, which is really what he is doing.

It seems that shaving the head was also common among the native Americans. Which I think means they didn't shave themselves.

Disccovery: In a painting tucked away in the Vatican, preservationists have discovered what experts believe is the first ever depiction of the native Americans that Christopher Columbus encountered during his first trip to the New World

Very cool painting. Crazy the stuff that must be laying around in the Vatican….

Back