Shear Stag Skinner....

Comming to the end of my shear steel stash. I forged four blades out of it last week and this is the first one I've got turned into a knife so far. 3 1/2" blade, wrought iron, and a Euro stag crown handle with all the bark left on except where the spike was removed. 8" total.
PDRM0797.JPG

PDRM0798.JPG

Greg, I worked most my adult life as a carpenter and on one job years ago we had got a load of fill sand. I happened to spot a broken piece of rusty saw steel in it and I took it home cause I thought it was cool looking. That was at least 6 or 7 years before I got into making knives. I decided to try forging a knife out of it a couple years ago just for a change of pace and didn't expect much for results since the steel was in such bad shape. I still can't believe what I've been getting out of it and wish I could stumble on to another piece. The piece of saw steel is what I had left around the first of the year.
PDRM0618.JPG

Bummer on the lack of supply!

I have a sawmill blade that I get a very strange pattern mainly at the quench line....when etched it looks very feather like.

I made a hunting blade to take to Larry Harley's hammer-in last March and donated it to the auction. I showed it to Larry, who had me take it to James Batson and show him. No one could provide an explanation of that patterning and it happens on every blade.

Let me know and I will send you a piece if you'd like.

Greg, I've got someother saw steel that does pretty much what you mentioned. I was told that it has a fairly high nickle content and its like an alloy banding. Pretty cool stuff. I had bought 6 saw blades a few months back and I believe one of them is like what you got.

Hilly, The handle on the first knife is Euro or red deer stag. The picture with the two knives the top one is dyed axis stag and the small one is elk tip. I do make sheaths but what normally happens is end up doing a bunch all at once.

The blade looks like a Foley-Bell Saw blade, With replacable teeth. You might check with them if they are still in buisness.

Dan, I did find a link to a sharpener for the Foley-Bell saw blade but it also said to sharpen carbide tips. The piece of shear saw steel is much older. Made long before carbide was ever thought of. The inserted tips on mine are made of the same steel that the blade is.

Back