sheath add ons.

With most of the medium to large knives- the leuku pattern bushcrafters and sierra machetes and such, we build sheaths with horizontal straps. Most of the time the belt hange is removable, and the straps are free floating.

A few things we've pondered include putting a cpuple stitches in the straps at the spine to reduce the potential for play, widening the straps (came effect, but impacts adjustability), or doing rivets here and there. Is there a need for this?

Another thing that I've been considering is making more use of the straps by having an altoids tin sized leather case that can clip on the front (or your belt. Multi use!), and adding a sharpening setup. Apex sharpeners such as I use for scandis come with a whole selection of parts, the most interesting here being sticky tape backed 1500 grit paper something like 3/4x5 inches (maybe a bit less length, i'll go measure later) which would be fine to put on the smooth side of a stropping strap, and then the leather (with or without compound) rough side would be available for stropping. This is for convex edges, I think for scandis I'd like to find a good, usable small stone setup.

The strop seems like a good idea, and is small enough to not take up much space. I could put snaps on the back of longer sheaths to hold a rig like that. how short is useful for something like this?

Another thing I've considered, since the straps are already there, is doing a SAK classic or LM S4 size holder.

Sounds great!

I like the sound of the pouches and strop, but honestly Sierras sheaths are wonderfull as they are. Well built tanks. And some of the best looking around. If it aint broke, why fix it?

I don't get much play with the removal straps, so the stitches to me aren't neccessary.

The other two ideas are brilliant though! A lil strop would come in handy!

a small pouch seems like it would be a geat idea, especially for the sierra machetes. otherwise though, i think the sheaths are already well beyond sturdy. my bushcrafter has seen just about daily use since i got it in july, and it hasnt shown any signs of wear.

Don't really see the need. A little pouch for a sharpening system might be nice. I carry a 5.5" block of wood with a strop on one side and 1000 grit mounted on foam on the other. Very useful for convex edges (even V grinds in a pinch).The sheaths are awfully nice as they come though.

Well, the capability is there, since the straps are already on :)

I I won't mess with the strop until I have it figured out with simplicity and durability. For the pouches, I suppose we'll make one or two for fun and then just add them if someone wants a custom. I know that now that it's in his mind, barberphobic will make one for himself :D

I do this once in a while and usually get help talking myself out of inspector gadget tricks. (STILL haven't added even arrow holes to the bushcrafters, see?)

Well, the capability is there, since the straps are already on :)

I I won't mess with the strop until I have it figured out with simplicity and durability. For the pouches, I suppose we'll make one or two for fun and then just add them if someone wants a custom. I know that now that it's in his mind, barberphobic will make one for himself :D

yea, ill post the pics when im done :D

Okay, so we've hit a basic idea that I think we're goiing to run with.

There's one sheath "add on" that Sierra does once in a while anyhow, and that's the pen holder slot waterformed into the straps on the expedition sheath. For me, it's very useful, I have a regular generic bic retracable sized stainless steel pen that slides in there and serves two purpose:

1: it is a pen. Pens are useful. A narrow barrel mechanical pencil would work, too.
2: it is camoflauge - people see the knife sheath with a pen on it, they somehow think "tool" instead of "texas chainsaw massacreeee"

So we'll probably keep doing that, and might do one up soon that's pretty (my shop knife gets beat up) for photos.

Second, Sierra solved the strop problem most elegantly. she took a strip of 1 inch side 9 ounce leather and put a snap on it, and a hole on the tab past the snap on both ends. it's a strop. slide one end through the straps, snap it closed. done. Can't get SIMPLER than that :thumbup:

One thing i've been wanting for mysefl is a thin SAK pouch sheath to clip onto an expedition sheath or shoulder bag straps. So we're gonna experiment with that. I know a lot of people like the farme, but if you already have a good cutting knife, I think the climber or a scibeer made yoman 3 layer is the way to go. (I'd put the pen holder scales on the climber, too.) Either way, I am working on a solid pre cute, pre hole-punched pattern for a 3 layer SAK that won't annoy sierra too badly to make.

On the same note, *I* am going to try and make the exact same thing, a belt clip backed, waterformed simple snap pouch for the altoids tin. I've been fighting with this for a long time, since there's 567385483496 sizes of tins. But I think the altoids tin is universal enough to work. And I've repainted enough of them to be comfortable with that.

By *I* will try making this, what I mean is I'm goint to sort out a pattern I can precut for Sierra and have her do the excellent stitching work on :D Then I'll do the block molding.

None if this necessarily needs to go on a sheath, but all together it makes a basic kit size that I'd be comfortable with if I had my water bottle and stay-arm stuff with me.

Back