Sheath advice for a vintage fixed blade

I have this awesome Cattaraugus 225Q, which I love. And I'd like to carry and use it more, except I hate the sheath I have for it. It's new very similar to the original military sheath, but made by Ontario. The problem is that all the snap flaps make it really inconvenient to draw and resheath the knife.

IMG_1456.jpg

So I want something better. I have decent skills to make something myself from leather, or I could turn to a kydex maker.

I would prefer something that rides a little higher and closer on the belt. And I'd rather not have any flaps or straps to deal with. I thought a basic pouch type sheath might work. The problem for me is the large guard on this knife. Seems like it would always get hung up on a pouch style sheath.

So I'm looking for ideas. What other leather sheath designs might meet my needs for a knife like this. Or should I go with Kydex?

Top strap keeps it away from cutting edge when drawn.

Two on right. Buffalo no straps but snug.. leather is rough on interior. I lined with some treated leather from a Jansport back pack facility they closed. Seems waterproofed and has a very smooth fine texture. Gives soft leather a sturdy feel. Got thousands of them. Approx 16 x 8 in size which is perfect for sheath lining.

Nice old knives.

Last edited:
Like those buffalo sheaths Makael Makael

For similar type knives I've done quite a few of my pancake sheath but designed ti ride in the small of the back. Like this young lady:

KSL97Tm.png

And her husband in the white shirt:

HGeH5Oj.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I can see a 'wide-mouth' pouch sheath working. Maybe I'll play around with that.

I have a Western Baby Shark knife on the way, no sheath and am also thinking about a pouch sheath. With it's bird's head butt it would be perfect for one, and I too do not like to have to fiddle with retention straps. John
PS Ebbtide, I still like the work you did on that knife and the sheath.

In thinking about this, I was reminded of the famous knifemaker Harry Morseth, whose sheath designs were really more innovative than his knives, in many ways. So I may lift some of his ideas:

0011774_harry-morseth-clintonwa-safety-loc-sheath-stag.jpeg

Back