Sheath Care?

Hello. Just wondering how everyone out there cares for their Randall leather sheaths? I have a 'new' knife that I inherited recently along with its sheath. The knife is in excellent condition but the sheath has some slight 'dark spots' on it, whether from storing the blade in the sheath or from the lanyards rubbing on it...I can't really tell. Is there anything I can try to clean it up a bit or even remove these marks? What do you reccommend for preserving the leather without darkening it excessively or causing it to soften up? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I use saddle soap for cleaning and then after it dries Sno Seal to make the sheath shed water.The Sno Seal will slightly darken the leather which might hurt the re sale value if you are hoping to sell.

How old is the sheath that you have?
There are lots of ways to preserve the leather in a sheath or to restore it.
In our shop we will clean the leahter first, usually with saddle soap or some other cleaner made expressly for leather.
After it is completely dry [ several days of air drying ] we will then use a good leather restorer/conditioner. Again there are several good ones out there that are made for leather. We use Chlesea Leather Food. This product has been around for many many years and has a GOOD reputation. We use several light coats, allowing each coat to penetrate for a day or two before applying the next. This works very well for us. Hope this helps out. Greg

Greg, I have got to agree with the Chelsea leather food. I use it on most of my leather. It will do wonders for a pair of leather boots.
It is very popular stuff in the tack and saddle industry. The stuff is made in England and has been around since the 1890's I believe.
Big D1

Back