Sheath Dipping Problem

As usual, it was all going great until..... a pouch sheath for a fillet knife. I used a little lighter weight leather, I'd guess 5-6 oz. Of course being for a fillet knife, it was a long, thin sheath. I even got online and re-read a sheathmaking tutorial on CKD. When I dipped the sheath it curled and shriveled at the tip. It would still work, just looks really funny. The wax/ mink oil mixture was just beginning to smoke when I dipped it. I've done it with heavier leather before, was that my problem? Leather too thin? Wax too hot? What do you think, and what is your technique? Thanks.

:D :D Deep fat fried leather.:D Guess how I know!:D Don't get it so hot, If you see bubbles when you dip it you're making a very expensive french fry!:D :D

Try getting a gallon of Lexol-NF(neatsfoot formula), pour some in a tinfoil bread pan. When your sheath is completely dry, put it in the oven at 180-200 deg.,F, for about 12-15 minutes. Dunk it in the lexol for a few seconds,4-6, take it out wipe the outside off, and stand it tip up to drain. after awhile, you can put a coat of shoe wax on it. Works great, no oily residue etc.

Been there done that;)
I have found that it isn't really the thickness of the leather that causes this.I us allot of scrap leather I get from a guy at a flea market and found out that some of his was the same leather they make rawhide shoe laces from,When I put that in the mix it curled up and shrunk so muck I started laughing.You may have let the tip of the sheath stay in the wax to long as you just need a quick dip.
I was told that on thin leather if you have a problem with it curling up,just melt the wax but not smoking hot,then dip the sheath.This will leave a wax coating on the leather.Now take a blow dryer or warm oven and melt the wax on the sheath and it should absorb into the leather,If it doesn't all absorb you can wipe it off.Then when the sheath is dry you can then buff off any remaining wax.
Hope this helps some.
Bruce

One the easiest ways I do it: I bought some of those aluminium baking pans (the cheap ones). I use whatever pan it will fit in and make a double boiler that way there is no way you can burn thew wax.

I just melt the wax, coat the sheath and pop it in the oven at 200Dgrs for 20 minutes. Usually stand the sheath in my wifes bacon dish with a waffled bottom so the excess can drain away (real popular move):grumpy: Then buff off the remainder. LOL. Terry

Thanks for the help gentlemen. You addressed my other problem as well, all of that wax build up that never comes off! I'm happy to report that my second attempt at this sheath worked well with a quicker dip in a cooler wax! Thanks again.

you made it home sir.

I don't post much, mainly lurk, but here's a story for ya'll.

I noticed that Whit listed 10th MTN as his home, I was in Kosovo with some 10th troops, emailed him and found out that he was in Kosovo also. We emailed each other a few times, just shooting the bull. My unit was redeploying I was tromping across the camp with my ruck on and this guy in PTs stops and sez, "SFC L....., the knifemaker?" :eek: "Whit, I presume".

We shot the s##t for minute, he let me go cause I had everything I owned on my back. One heck of a nice guy.

You'll never know when you'll run into a BFC member in BFE. :)

Will

SFC L,
I was wondering what your nickname was on here, hadn't seen you. I made it home indeed, just got through with Block Leave, most of which was dedicated to knifemaking. I hope things are going well for you. The next time we meet, let's make in the States, not some Third World S---hole! Take care.

Whit & Will.
Too bad you guys didn't see Kosovo before those morons went to war. It wasn't a "Third World S---hole" back then, but a very beautiful country with nice people. Theres no place like home though :D

Back