Sheath Dulling Street Bowie Edge

vwb563

Gold Member
My apologies if this has been asked here before but a quick search gave no results. I just purchased a new Street Bowie and it was not shaving sharp out of the box so I sharpened it on my ceramic stone to a hair popping edge. Being new I examined the knife for probably an hour or so and sliding it in and out of the factory sheath several times. Later I was messing around with the knife and noticed the edge was kinda dull again which puzzled me. I sharpened it again and run it in and out of the sheath several more times and once again it was dull. I love the factory sheath but it obviously is dulling my edge from drawing the knife from it only a few times. Anyone else had this problem and if you have how did you resolve it?

I have seen that complaint before. When drawing or sheathing the knife a little pressure toward the spine should keep the edge away from the sheath. You might also check your edge with a 10X or higher loupe to ensure you don't simply have a burr that is getting rolled over.

The sheath on my Sprig does the same. It also scratches the blade.
Need to get off my arse and find something else to replace the sheath.

How can plastic scratch steel?
It doesn’t. It’s tight enough that it presses rocks or dust or other debris against the blade and they scratch it.

That’s why I like kydex sheaths with all the retention on the handle - they don’t even really touch the blade.

Reactions: 353
Look into glass reinforced nylon sheaths (they dull edges) If you run the edge over that type of sheath, you’ll hear a “crunchy” kind of sound. versus Kydex for example, which won’t dull edges.

Think, glass reinforced nylon. Not the best choice for a sheathed knife.

Had that issue too.

Same thing happens with other brands I have that use GRN sheaths. Same dulling of the edge.

It doesn’t. It’s tight enough that it presses rocks or dust or other debris against the blade and they scratch it.

That’s why I like kydex sheaths with all the retention on the handle - they don’t even really touch the blade.
or if the side of the frn inside of the sheath get hit with the tip of the blade on sheath entry and cuts the frn bit so it it isn't flat anymore......... the fiberglass in the frn will scratch a blade. I have lots of ill fitting cold steel secure x sheaths that this has happened to......

Back