sheath for my file Bowie,Comments please

Here is the sheath that I decided on for the file Bowie.It is a leather bodied sheath with a tin throat then wrapped with buckskin and then sewed with artificial sinew and then fringed..How doew it look?Comments Please.
Bruce

Oct01_01.jpg

Oct01_03.jpg

Looks great Bruce, realy goes with the rustic blade. Bet any mountain man would love that combo.

I have got to try one like that, provided I get the time. So many knives, so little time!

:D Will's got it right, I smiled and thought "Jerimiah Johnson's bald $ht-talking friend!" What was that guy's name? Anyway, cool knife and sheath, knocks my socks off! Thanks for sharing Bruce, what kind of bone is that?!

Dave

I think the sheath works with the style of knife. One of your delux models I've seen with your other knives would look out of place.

I think I will have to make a knife similar to that one. I like the hammer finish on the balde. You got that bone wright as well.

i like it

the blade has great character, and i find that the sheath highlights the the texture of the blade.

a great partnership for sure
:)

D.

Love the colors and it matches the knife well but.....I think you should cut the fringe so they are thinner and twist each one. Probally just me though. Nice work.:cool:

Sheath fits the knife. I like that style with a little longer fringe on the edge side and cut thinner just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys..The picture I had seen of a old Bowie and had the sheath done like this had short and wide fringe on it.The next one I try,I will make it longer and thinner and see i it looks better.I believe that if I new how to do the proper bead work and decorate the fringe on these that they would look really cool.
Oh well just something else to try and learn,man you never quit learning in this business.Ain't it COOL :cool: :D :cool:
Bruce

Bruce-

Check out the following link -K & M Creations @ http://www.montana.com/beadwork/.

I've done a bunch of beadwork over the years myself and it is very painstaking and very time consuming, so I farm it out to these folks. They do very nice work for the price.

Maynard Whiteowl Lavadour, ( see some of his work here http://www.jeffreymoosegallery.com/exhibit/gallery/97_06.html) who is one of the best Native American artists in traditional leather/beadwork taught me that the easiest and best way to cut fine fringe is to use a pair of scissors. In fact he uses the el cheapos and throws them away when they get dull, because it takes more time and therefore costs more than to resharpen.

First when working with any kind of buckskin PRESTRETCH it. If it's modern tan dampen thoroughly and then stretch out on a board and let dry for 48-72 hours. If it it is brain/smoke tan just stretch it without wetting and leave for 72 hours or so.
If your right handed (scissors in that hand) start at the left side of your item and don't cut the fringe, rather take and slide the scissors up the seam, be careful as you get to the edge of your project that you don't run the scissors up against it and ding it. You may have to make one small snip at the end to finish it off. Try for about an 1/8" fringe, but don't worry about keeping them all exact as the original stuuf varies in width. If you cut one a bit too wide just trim it down. I always find that after a while the balance of the uncut fringe starts getting a bit wedge shaped (the cut edge is no longer at 90 degrees) so I cut the wedge out and bring it back in line.
Another guy I know grows his thumbnail long to use as a guide and uses a very sharp knife!

For a sheath like this I think a 2-3" fringe would look real nice.
Here is an example of similar style fringe on a full beaded neck sheath, I made for Pete Espeseth. The danglies are nickel cones which were used a lot.

Hope this explains it OK. If not give a shout.

_zimg-sheath-espeseth-neck.jpg

the purpose of fringe was to dry you off, or you knife by drawing the mosture and giving more surface area of wind flow. the other purpose was to have thong lace ready to cut off your jacket, pants, gear (knife) to tie off a cut, make a snare,or any of the other things we use wire or duct tape for. so i would agree that if you lenthen and thin the fringe at least along the blade side of the shealth.it will have a more period/function look. fringe also keep the flys away like on a horse halter over their eyes. great work and keep going.

Back