Sheath material vs handle material

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off what exactly is "concealex" and how does it compare to kydex for neck knife sheath material? Secondly any opinions on carbon fibre handles vs G10, zytel, ect.?

Hello sagebrush,

Consealex and Kydex are pretty much the same thing. Yeah, there are some differences in exactly what they are and maybe how it is made, but it doesn't really matter. It is kond of like the difference between micarta, a Westinghouse peoduct, and rucarta, a producd that looks exactly liek micarta, but is made by another firm.

Consealex does, however, come in a larger variety of colors, patterns and finishes. BladeTech has a bunch of these on their web site you can see. Consealex does curl up a bit when you heat it. I hear some liek this, because when it curls up that also happens to be the right temp to form it to a knife.

As for your second question, please re-state it in a way that we can better offer infomation. The question is too broad, especially since you say etc.

Of the 3 materials you mentioned, each has their strengths. Carbon Fibre is strong and light, and looks great when polished. I hear it is wuite slick when polished, though. Carbon fibre is dangerous to work with too. Nasty. Not good.

Zytel gets little respect, but deserves more. It keeps knfie prices down and is quite strong! G-10 is nasty to work with too, but better than carbon fibre. To me, it is like micarta with some properties suped up. I think it has much more tensile strength than micarta. I prfer micarta, as it has a wonderful history and to me has more character. G-10 is cool since it comes in different colors. Polishd it is nice, blasted it is very grippy, especially when wet.

Hey Guys...

Cray has it pretty much ,however I'd like to clarify a little...

First off Blade-tech doesn't use concealex any more..They've switched over to Kydex from what I understand..

Basically the difference between Kydex and Concealex is pretty much looks.. There are some slight recipe differences,,like from one choclate chip cookie to the next,, but it is pretty much the same,,as far as the end user is concerned..Nothing other than looks and a slight performance difference...

Myself I Only use Concealex,,and will continue to do so as long as I can...

As far as handle material goes,,thats not my area of interest,,sorry..

ttyle

Eric...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back