sheath replacement for a model 14

This has probably already been answered but can you get a replacement leather sheath from Randall for the model 14. The model wouldnt matter I guess, right. Any model for that matter.

What are the requirements and how much would it cost? Do I just send the knife in to Randall with a sheath request? Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Not sure of the cost, but since these are all handmade knives you will need to send it back to randall if you want the shop to replace your sheath, as it will need to be fitted or made.

You can also go directly to the sheath maker that Randall uses and they will also make you a replacement sheath. It will however be marked with an "R" on the back of the sheath. The sheath maker for Randall is Greg Gutcher, located in Florida. I don't have the phone number but I'm sure one of the other Randall experts will have that info and will post it for you.

Dan in Kalifornia

Sullivan's Holster Shop
2521 Success Dr., Suite 1
Odessa, FL 33556
Mon.-Fri. 8:30-5:00 ET
(727) 376-3209

Being that I just went through this, maybe I can help. To get a Randall stamped sheath you have to send in the knife. You can either send the knife to RMK, or to Sullivan's directly. I sent two knives to Sullivan's back in mid April, and received the knives back along with their 'R' stamped replacement sheaths in early August.

You'll have the cost of shipping your knife(s), you'll have the cost of the standard sheath, (note: Sullivan's is no longer taking orders for custom sheaths, so your only options are Black or Waxed, at an additional cost), and you'll have the cost of return shipment.

I don't know if it would be any faster shipping to RMK, as they'd still have to contact Sullivan's for the sheath(s), so I'd say probably not. You'll need to contact Sullivan's for pricing (including options) as I can't speak for them.

I can tell you, however, in my case, with shipping costs both ways factored in, for two 'R' stamped Black sheaths, it ran me roughly $90 apiece for each sheath.

Hope that helps.

Ouch! I lost a sheath to my Trapper on the last move. Keep hoping it shows up. A $90 mistake is a little nasty if I can't find it. Shipping really eats into you these days.

Bummer about your lost sheath - I hope you can find it soon. If not, you might want to keep an eye on eBay; sheaths do show up there from time to time, and it may save you a few bucks.

By the bye, you didn't mention what hilt type your Model #14 had - this is important. A sheath for Model #14 (or Model #15) Cut-Down Tang (CDT) with a Model #1 guard will have a shorter keeper strap...

So, a standard sheath will work for either, but a CDT sheath won't work for a Model #14 (or #18) with a standard hilt. On the shorter Model #15 CDT sheath, the same holds true for Model's #15, #17 & #18 with standard hilts...

Good point. And a 14 with a forward-curved hilt (yes, they're out there) is a whole 'nother animal yet.

Ah yes, but a Model #14 with a lugged hilt (they're out there too) uses a standard Model #14 sheath...(but you already knew that, right?) ;)

Send knife and a check for $67.00 ( $50 for sheath, $17 for S&h+Ins) to RMK for a R marked replacement sheath and in just a few short weeks (possibly sooner), you"ll be all set!!

---DW---

RandallModel14-2.jpg

I just went through this exercise for a Model 14 Spearpoint/Sawtooth missing it's sheath.
Randall's was great for "send it in". They also suggested Sullivans'....which had some Model 14 sheaths in stock that were ordered but apparently not picked up.
Yeah, it doesn't have the Randall markings. I don;t care, it's a great sheath for the $49 bucks I paid for it and it fits like a glove.
I hear Randall doesn't sell sheaths unless they can see for themselves the knife that goes in it is one of theirs and not a knock-off.
Best $49.00 I ever spent, imho

Did you send your knife in? Or just buy the unmarked sheath; if the later, did the $49 cover shipping to you as well?

By unmarked, I think he is referring to the snaps. If you send the knife in, they use snaps with "RANDALL MADE" on them, and if you don't, the snaps are plain (RMK policy). The sheath that is shown has plain snaps.

Ken, I know, but that wasn't my point. My point was that when mentioning 'price paid' for replacement sheaths, people often speak only of the standalone sheath cost - typically omitting the cost of shipping the knife to RMK (or Sullivan's), and the cost of insured return shipment...

So, in the case of this '$49' sheath, I wanted to know if that included the price of shipment if indeed a knife was shipped; or, if that price was for an unmarked (Sullivan's vs. RMK) sheath and shipping; or, if the price was just for the unmarked sheath with the shipping excluded...ya know?

IMO, in the greater hierarchy of things, an original sheath is going to have more potential value than a replacement sheath, which in turn is more likely to have more value than a plain Sullivan's sheath. If I'm not mistaken, what drshame is showing above is not a Randall sheath - but instead is a sheath made by the sheathmaker that makes sheaths for Randall. It shouldn't have the RMK logo, and in my mind, that makes a big difference.

Further, as you may know, I've been hoarding original RMK sheaths for many years - have a transit case full of them in fact; sheaths I'm loathe to sell because they can be very difficult to find if needed. Still, occasionally, I do sell a few - thus, it may be somewhat difficult for me to get my asking price if someone can point to this thread and say 'well heck, why should I pay you that much when I can just call down to Sullivan's and get a new one delivered for only $49... ;)

Last edited:
When I order a Randall Made knife, I am now sensitive to the importance of specifying the type of sheath I want. The sheath is part of the package, so specifying the sheath "options" is just as important as specifying the options for the knife. I cover this in the Randall Ordering FAQ. See: http://lundestudio.com/RandallOrderingFAQ/IV/1.html

For me, the three most important factors to consider for the sheath are the hone pocket, keeper strap, and color. I prefer no hone pocket and a diagonal keeper strap. Most sheaths have diagonal keeper straps, but some smaller ones have keeper straps that wrap around the handle, which seems to be necessary due to the hone pocket. Knives with reduced hilts also seem to need the wrap-around style keeper strap. My preference for sheath color depends on the knife's hilt and handle color.

I have ordered at least a half-dozen replacement sheaths through Sullivan's Holster Shop, and each time I send the knife in so that the "RANDALL MADE" snaps are used. In fact, I ordered one last Friday for a #23 that I just bought. Yes, these replacement sheaths have the "R" stamped on the back that indicates it is a replacement sheath. I buy Randall Made knives, not sell them, so I find more value in a sheath that meets my needs. As someone who sells Randall Made knives, I can understand the value that you place on the original sheath.

Im sending in a knife on monday to get a sheath.just got the call this week im now next in line. Iv been waiting for 3 months maybe 4 now

Back