Sheath retention advice/options

I’m making a sheath for a knife that will be carried in the African bush for a couple weeks at a time. Should I be looking at anything more than a deep sheath for retention purposes? Maybe a keeper strap? Also what are your thoughts on a dangler for comfort? Thanks!

To me those all sound like personal preference ?? If you could post a pic of the knife your going to carry, that could help, also size of it.
For the dangler you could make it removable for best of both. As for retention, for me I like a keeper strap.

i-38r2CS3-M.jpg

It’s the same style as this one. 9 inches overall.

That style would do best in a deep seat pouch very similar to the one in your latest photo, but with a high ride flat loop on the back 100_4003.jpg 100_4004.jpg

Two advantages, one is that you can lower the loop on the sheath and create a very high ride, and the other is that since it is very flat you can slip it into a pocket or under the belt with very little bulk.

Paul

I rarely carry a fixed blade on a belt any more -- it interferes with my daypack straps when hiking so I keep it in the pack where it's still readily accessible in a zippered pocket. I've lost a couple good knives when carrying on a belt or in a pocket.

Back