Sheaths

nick,
can you explain how you make these "hard like kydex" leather sheaths? which wax do you use?

i thought it might be of interest for other guys here too.

thanks
Arne :thumbup:

Hi Arne, I simply melt about 5lbs of bees wax in a crock pot and dip the sheath in for about a minute. Let it drip out all of the excess and get the knife in while still hot and squeeeeeze it all ouround the knife. It usually works best if the knife has some sort of oil on it so the wax doesn't stick to the blade while cooling. I also pull the knife out before it cools completely so the the sheath will shrink up just a tad. This is what makes the knife click into place.

It really is simple to do and it makes the sheath 100% waterPROOF not resistant. Some still prefer the suppleness of the leather but since I am the maker I get to call the shots:D Also, I like to do things differently than most, and there is not too many makers that use this method.

The idea ( I wish was mine) came from Bruce http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/pouchsheath.html

Thanks
Nick:)

Had my knife with me in my pack on the kayak this past weekend and on me when hiking through some light rain...no problem :thumbup:. Good question Beisser, and thanks for the thorough answer Nick.

Being a sheath maker, at least part time, these are some of THE toughest
sheaths I've ever seen! Very well done indeed, here are some images I took
of a few that I had the pleasure seeing for a while;

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

that firesteel loop must be a tough one to fold over!
Nice job !
G2

I have my NWA knife ordered and am looking forward to the sheath almost as much as the knife. Nick does a tremendous job on them.

Nicks sheaths are bulletproof. They truly are as tough as his knives. They do take a little while to break in though.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your kind words. I know I sure like my sheaths........... I supose I am a bit biased though:D

thanks nick :thumbup:
i´ll try it with one sheath i have here with me ;)

cheers
Arne

failiure :( it didn´t work.
melted the beewax, put the sheath in it for a minute and pressed it with my kydexpress until the wax cooled out. but the sheath is still smooth.
what went wrong? does the wax need a special temperature? other ingredients?

nick, please help :D

thanks
Arne

Hi Arne, The wax needs to be at roughly 150-180 deg. F . It sounds like you reached that point as you say it was melted. That is the melting point of bees wax. I am thinking that maybe, there is something prohibiting the wax from penetrating the leather. Other than that, I cant think of any reason why it wouldnt work for ya.

I had one of Nicks sheaths as well - I am not a fan of the hard sheath - but I do know this - you wouldn't have problems with Nicks for years. It was BOMB proof.

I think Nick believes, in terms of his sheaths, that function is more important than form. He could make them 'prettier' but he, instead, makes them tough as hell. I respect that - and I think most end users appreciate that.

I also know if you are getting kudos from a maker like G2 - you are doing something VERY right.

TF

this weekend i talked to the maker of the sheath i damaged. he told me that the leather is the problem. the leather you use is called orthopedic leather over here. the leather he used was another that could not work.

Arne, the sheath killer :rolleyes:

btw. nick, could you make a left handled sheath for one of the knives you sent me? a customer asked about that.

I traded into one of your Woodsman models Nick, and while I really like the knife, the added bonus of the "kydex" leather snap is great. Great knife AND great sheath.

Back