• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

sheepsfoot build

Hi. I am new here and have a project for someone. This is my Grandfather's sheepsfoot what I have left folding knife. I would like to rebuild or build something similar. I have no idea where to post this so I started here. Any help will be appreciated. I live in Miami.

OK, I see I can't post attachments at this time. I have a frame with a handle and spring. Blade is gone. The handle is 4.5" long.
Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
I believe you still can post pics if you use a photo site. Just copy the img address and paste.
Welcome by the way. You should sit and stay a while. Some of the best folks around are here.

Hello Gary. Welcome. I'm going to move this to the forum for folks who are looking for a craftsman or knife maker. There are a lot of talented folks who check in on BF.
Forum > The Knife Exchange > KnifeMaker's Market: Knives & More for Sale > Wanted: Knifemaker / Craftsman / Related Services

Another approach might be to look at the "custom knives for sale" section and see the works of different makers. Then you could contact them to see if they would be interested in your project.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/753-For-Sale-Folders

Here we go. Starting to realize this is not going to be easy. Builders seem to want to build a knife from scratch and not work around tired old frames. Bought a JA Henckels shipsfoot yesterday new to get the ball rolling. At least I will be able to see what is missing off my relic.
Thanks for your help!
Gary

Attachments

• sheepsfoot 004.JPG
    sheepsfoot 004.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 8
  • sheepsfoot 003.JPG
    sheepsfoot 003.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It would have been helpful to know what the original knife was (who made it). That makes matching things a little easier. You bought a Henckels, so maybe the blade will match up. If it doesn't, then possibly the blade and spring from the Henckels can be fitted to the old frame. If the holes are off, then that makes things even tougher. Obviously, you want to retain the history and years on the original frame, I admire that.

It may be possible for you to eye things up when the other knife arrives. However, it will be necessary to take everything apart at some point, and there is ALWAYS the possibility that parts can be damaged/fall apart/break. New bolsters will have to be made for the knife as well.

If you don't have anyone in mind to do the work, give me a shout if/when you are ready to move forward, maybe I can help you out.

Glenn

I looked hard for the blade and bolsters today with no luck. My mistake for not keeping this stuff together. I do remember well what the blade looked like. It was always a strange looking knife as a kid watching my Grandfather use. Never really mentioned it but he never lent it to me either lol.
I will post a picture from what I remember the blade looked like soon. Thanks for your interest Glenn. Maybe you can restore this relic. It would mean allot to me.
Gary

Now another type of knife has entered the what do you call it list. I am looking at 'Whaler' knives that look almost exactly the same as my relic.
Here is the sheepsfoot Henckel with cocobolo scales I ordered. This knife is smaller than my relic and would not disturb it.
Also a whaler that measures up at closed 4 3/8" with ivory scales. Now this knife is exactly the size of the relic with a blade that looks dead on the missing piece of the relic.
Would it be a 'no no' to salvage this knife or should I build new blade and use this as a model?
Gary

Attachments

• JA Henckels.jpg
    JA Henckels.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 6
  • whaler.jpg
    whaler.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4
Did you ever see his knife intact? Is it possible that it instead had blades like the ones shown in this thread?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1213582-Prune-Big-or-Go-Home!?highlight=pruner

Does your old knife have a flat butt end? Most whalers were not meant to be set upright on end, but some of ones shown in the link are. Your old knife reminds me more of that style of knife than a whaler, but admittedly, this is not my area of collecting.

As far as using a certain style of blade, it's your knife and you can do to it what you want. If you are looking to return it to somewhat former glory, it should be remade as it would have looked back then. You don't have any family pictures of it, do you? Does mom/dad remember what it looked like?

Very good, maybe a pruner. It probably was bought in New York or New Jersey. I do remember what it looked like complete. Your 'pruner' reference above has got me to where I am sure what the blade looked like.
sunnyd's Northfield is almost exactly on the button.
I drew a few sketches to see what works and jogs my mine.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• northfield pruner 1.jpg
    northfield pruner 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
  • relic prunner 001.JPG
    relic prunner 001.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 2
  • relic prunner 004.JPG
    relic prunner 004.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Now we are moving in on something. Navy knife design is really looking close. I believe the scales are Ebony on the relic as shown on the New York Knife Co. pruner hawks bill far right. The knife to the far left looks exactly right in blade design. I remember the back of the blade was broad and had a slight lift as shown. Very good. Used for cutting heavy rope with a mallet. I remember my Grandfather striking the blade of the relic when extra force was needed. It would drive me nuts as a kid thinking it would destroy the knife.
As it turns out the knife lasted his life time of 90 years and I was the one that broke it.

Gary

Attachments

• myknives006-9.jpg
    myknives006-9.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3
  • schrade2.jpg
    schrade2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • hammer brand ...new york knife co.jpg
    hammer brand ...new york knife co.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Okay, that's good that you are able to narrow things down. You would not hammer the back of a pruner, LOL.

The next step will be to find a workable blade and spring.

Does this show the spring? Do I need a used blade or can a blade me made from scratch if I have the design? The only thing I don't understand is how the blade/spring connection is designed among lots of things I guess.
Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• relic spring 001.JPG
    relic spring 001.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 3
  • relic spring 004.JPG
    relic spring 004.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • relic spring 006.JPG
    relic spring 006.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 3
Oh, you have the spring? I thought you were missing that as well. Yes, a used or new blade can be used. However the thickness of the blade and spring have to be close to work properly. You can shave a little off one or the other possibly to make them work. Also, the kick on the blade has to be decent so the knife and spring will sit right in the closed position. You won't know this until things are taken apart and the parts are dry-fitted.

Also, there is always the possibility that the existing spring is worn from the old blade rubbing on it. Can't tell any of that until you have all the parts.

If you want to pursue this with me, please pm or email me. If not, that's fine, I'd still be interested to see how it comes out.

Thanks,
Glenn

10-4. You will need to PM me. I don't seem to have that option at this time. I right click your name and PM option not showing. Sorry?
Gary

I think you can still email me, that option should be there

#42 visitor message in your profile Glenn please. Got a positive ID. It is a Schrade Walden 163 rope knife.
Gary

Attachments

• schrade walden 163 master carpenters knife.jpg
    schrade walden 163 master carpenters knife.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back