Shelf lining

airyq

Gold Member
I have just purchased a wooden display cabinet to store/display my knives. It is a glass fronted and sided wooden cabinet with wooden shelves. I am planning to put my knives on the shelves.

However, I am concerned that the finishing on the wooden shelves may cause my knives to stain or rust and I am thinking of lining the shelves with either paper or small table cloths. The same worry arises as I have read that normal paper is acidic and cloth may contain traces of bleach or detergent, both of which will corrode steel.

Also, the entire cabinet does smell of the wood finishing that was applied. I am also worried that the vapours would be corrosive.

While I do apply Tuf Glide on all my knives, staining or rust is still a worry.

Would be grateful for some advice on how I should store/display.

You could always go to a craft store and buy some archieval scrap booking paper. They sell a wide variety of patterns in 12x12 sheets.

They even make archeival spray that neutralizes acid in papers and other things you want to put in a scrap book. You could spray the inside of the display with that maybe? :)

My wife is a big time scrapbooker. :)

Thanks WadeF. But am not sure if I can find what you suggest over here, have not seen any around. Maybe I have not been looking, I will keep a sharper lookout.

As far as lining it with paper, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. Paper won't give off very much at all. The shelves...I really don't know, because I haven't seen yours. If I were you, I'd cover it with something that doesn't give off anything like that...polyurithane (sp?) will do nicely, as I believe it's completely neutral and won't give off any fumes. But I don't have much experience with this, so feel free to correct me anyone.

Back