• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shepherd Hills Cutlery - experiences wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngrSorenson

Noticed by Senpai
Platinum Member
Hey folks - I don't usually post here, but I'm not even marginally satisfied with my decision to purchase from Shepard Hills Cutlery.

Back in March Shepherd Hills sends a catalog to my door that my wife finds and "Ooooh, Ahhhh!"s and drops major hints that she wants one of those purple bone Case knives. This is a big deal, mind you, because my wife isn't interested in my knife hobby at all, so I ought to go give them my money for impressing my wife.

I go to the website and it says "order now for March delivery", but I figure, okay, it's March 23rd, and I'm sure she can wait. Well in April it switched to "Currently On Back Order". I notice the same knives at another dealer website and so I think maybe I should reach out. I email them April 10th and after a second email I hear back on the 12th. It's a very polite email stating that they just don't have them in stock yet, but they'll get them out the door as soon as they get them. If another seller has them, it shouldn't be long.

So here I am a month later, and it seems they have 2-3 other purple bone knives in stock, but not the one I ordered. I can't tell if I'm being unreasonable or not, but I definitely don't feel satisfied. Is it weird that they advertise products for sale that they have no idea when they will be in stock?

The only other experience I have buying from them was once I purchased a knife and had it shipped to my brother's place in DC where I was vacationing. Upon receiving the knife, the blade more play in it than a fun house. I sent it back with detailed instructions to send it to my standard place of residence. Well they sent it to my brother's place. I was a little upset about that, but realistically I know that's not a common situation for them. The knife that I eventually received (by way of DC) was better, but still not great; though I guess I can't blame Shepherd Hills on that one.

Best I can tell some of their knives are pre order sfo, (special factory order). When enough people pre order, then they order from Case. I’ve only bought a few on clearance over the years no problems with my orders.

I’ve had good luck when dealing with Shepherd Hills, usually my go to place for Case knives. Granted I generally order items that are in stock. I have placed a couple preorders and I believe they shipped around the listed date. But I agree it would be frustrating to see your order available at other shops while they’re still waiting for their shipment to arrive.

They have been good to me.

Your knife was marked not yet in stock so its an honest posting unlike some sites. Supply chains are unsteady everywhere these days. You say they were polite. Shipping the second knife to the original address may have been an error, so yes they are humans, but it could have been a security protocol due to mailbox bandits. Maybe you are correct and are "unreasonable."

Your knife was marked not yet in stock so its an honest posting unlike some sites.
It was originally posted with a March timeline, so they aren’t dishonest, but they are misleading. I’m also surprised there’s no follow up, in the event delivery time actually matters to someone.
but it could have been a security protocol due to mailbox bandits
What mailbox bandit sends the new return address in the same parcel as the returned knife? Combined with several emails stating the case, I think there’s little room for doubt. Don’t dream up excuses- I’m sure they would have included those details in the explanation if they were true.
Maybe you are correct and are "unreasonable."
Please consider ceasing all forum activities.

Not sure how you paid, but have they charged your CC yet, or perhaps you paid some other way? Just wondering if they have taken your funds/payment yet?

Last edited:
Not sure how you paid, but have the charged you CC yet, or perhaps you paid some other way? Just wondering if they have taken your funds/payment yet?
Their policy is to not charge a credit card until the item ships, so I doubt they did but I haven't checked.

I'm by no means saying that these people are deliberately doing something devious, but I'm not used to the concept of ordering a standard production knife with a quoted delivery time frame and then without notice just being placed on back order.

Their policy is to not charge a credit card until the item ships, so I doubt they did but I haven't checked.

I'm by no means saying that these people are deliberately doing something devious, but I'm not used to the concept of ordering a standard production knife with a quoted delivery time frame and then without notice just being placed on back order.

So no card charge, told you up front it wasn't in stock...thus no foul.

I would have to agree. It was a pre-order with a projected date. It would seem that SHC has not got the stock from Case yet , not their fault. They politely responded to your inquiry. They have not charged you. If you saw someone else had it in stock why did you not just order from them and cancel this one if it was that important to you and did not want to wait? I think you may need to step back and reassess. You could have answered your own question about if you are being unreasonable.

Hey folks - I don't usually post here,

So here I am a month later, and it seems they have 2-3 other purple bone knives in stock, but not the one I ordered. I can't tell if I'm being unreasonable or not, but I definitely don't feel satisfied. Is it weird that they advertise products for sale that they have no idea when they will be in stock?
Yes, IMO, your behavior, IS: "unreasonable."

FWIW: I've used Shepherd Hills Cutlery on a couple of occasions to purchase Case knives as graduation gifts; their customer service in both those instances, was exceptional.

They have been good to me.

Maybe you are correct and are "unreasonable."
^ +1
If you saw someone else had it in stock why did you not just order from them and cancel this one if it was that important to you and did not want to wait? I think you may need to step back and reassess. You could have answered your own question about if you are being unreasonable.

I have to agree with this. The OP here, clearly is being: "unreasonable."

Some people (hobbyists here) are just way too impatient, & it would seem, would rather spend their time here: complaining.

Well in conclusion the experiences have been generally positive, and it seems that I put too much stake in the language they used for what was ultimately a preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back