Shiro Question

Andre21

Platinum Member
Does anyone know if the very early Shiro’s came with COA cards.

And if any came with the S35VN blade steel?

Thank you
Andre

I just picked this one up and my buddy thinks it’s a fake. It sure doesn’t feel like a fake. It feels like my other two Shiro’s.
7667A4A6-079B-47C8-94F5-7851BFF37CBB.jpeg 420D1706-52E1-45D0-83BD-1FDC51665256.jpeg D9794269-0662-472E-BDB1-DD85A6A09779.jpeg AA3A47BC-506A-46B7-9E8F-305924191825.jpeg

Thanks for the confirmation. I told my buddy he was mistaking. Plus the recessed area around the jimping on the blade. I had never seen that style before myself. But the fit and finish and smoothness is typical Shiro, that’s for sure.

So I presume this is a very early model 95T?

Not necessarily, I don't know the time frame S35VN was used. It is a base model Turtle, single row bearings, no milling on the inside of the slabs.
ChazzyP ChazzyP probably has a better idea on the time frame.

S35VN replaced S30V in 2009. But I don’t know when Shiro started using that steel.

I looked at your pics, Andre21 Andre21 , and don't see anything in them that would lead me to believe that your Turtle is anything but authentic. Shirogorov refers to the blade cutouts at the blade jimping as extracts. They were featured prominently on the F95R models when they first came out, but their origin goes back to earlier models like yours.

I really don't have a sense of a time frame regarding a switch from S30V to S35VN and I'm not sure that there was ever a specific change from one to the other as Shiro used a much broader palate of steels back in the day including the aforementioned, 440C, ATS-34, CTS-40CP, Vanax 35, RWL-34, BG42, Cronidur 30, and CPM 3v before settling into the more familiar and current M390, Vanax 37, S90V, and Elmax. Some of my Shiros go back a number of years and I have knives in 440C, S30V, M390, and Vanax 37. I do have a source that I can ask what years the Workshop did use S35VN if you're interested.

As far as COA cards, they're a more recent feature that I believe began in the 20-teens. The black vertical cards were only issued for knives sold through the one official North American dealer--actually the only official dealer worldwide outside the Workshop until Knifecenter became a subsidiary dealer and Shiro authorized one in Russia. Horizontal white COAs also began to come later with knives sourced from the Workshop. Custom Division and collaboration knives come with their own specific certifications. Knives have always come with a folded, stamped customs certificate that was often mistaken for a COA.

That's a nice looking, older Turtle you have there. Congrats on your acquisition and stop by, check things out, and drop some pics over at The Bears' Den.

Thank you very much ChazzyP, I appreciate all that good and helpful information.

I will definitely stop by and check things out. Thanks for the invite

Well I’ve been reading the Bears Den and I felt like replying to so many posts but since they’re like 3 & 4 years old I refrained. Lol.
I’m on page 26 of 152 so far.
Great stuff indeed.

My very first Shiro and my daily user is the 95T in Bronze. This is the one knife I refuse to sell. Mine is M390 and bought within last two years. Just put a new lanyard yesterday as the other started to show signs of getting severed by the blade. Stropped and hair cutting sharp. Shiro One .jpg

My very first Shiro and my daily user is the 95T in Bronze. This is the one knife I refuse to sell. Mine is M390 and bought within last two years. Just put a new lanyard yesterday as the other started to show signs of getting severed by the blade. Stropped and hair cutting sharp. View attachment 1440738
That's a long fob!

I don't have much to add, but I owned 3 Shiro's in the past and the never had COA's. That ones looks legit to me.

I must agree with ChazzyP ChazzyP
That looks like a legitimate 95T to me. An earlier model with SRBS for sure. Excellent catch.
I feel sad now because I just sold my 95T DRBS. Oh well...

Back