Shiv. Shiv. Shiv.

I’ve never played with heat coloring titanium. Interested about 2 things:

1) does anyone know if the heat has any effect on the material’s tensile strength etc.? I know with steel, that indiscriminate heat can affect the heat treat, which can ultimately compromise the material’s strength (eg. When I used to work on my own vehicles and needed to use MAPP gas on stuck fasteners, common practice/recommendation was to replace them after removal).

2) where does black/near black fall, in the color progression?
Hey bluemax,
I’m sure going as dark as I did, had some effect. It hasn’t been a problem so far.

This is how I did it; completely remove any thread lock, hand polish w/simichrome, LP torch, paper clip, quench in avacado oil. It will take multiple heat/quench. Some took 2-3 quenches, others took six. Be careful

Last edited:
Pretty sure that black is not in the color progression on titanium

The color that you see on colored titanium is not actually a real color, it has to do with the spacing of a structure that's formed corresponding with a wavelength of light. It's like the colors on a bluebird, if you crush them it goes away.

Because of this, when you anodized titanium, all you can get are colors in the rainbow because it corresponds with frequencies of light. Black is not a color on the rainbow.

I think blackened titanium is something else going on. It's a difference in chemistry than the titanium oxides that are used for colors.
Hey Nathan,
Since I quenched multiple times; can it be the titanium is blued? The color is staying put through use. Here is a shot in overcast light. My flame suit is on, in case I need to be informed I’m an idiot..

.Apologies for thread derailment.

Attachments

• IMG_8616.jpeg
    IMG_8616.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 8
Hey Nathan,
Since I quenched multiple times; can it be the titanium is blued? The color is staying put through use. Here is a shot in overcast light. My flame suit is on, in case I need to be informed I’m an idiot..

.Apologies for thread derailment.

Idunno?

Some titanium can be heat treated, some cannot. I believe the hardening mechanism for titanium is similar to aluminum, in that it is artificially aged to induce precipitation hardening so, it's kind of the opposite of martensite where exposure to high temperatures makes the metal go soft through tempering, in precipitation hardening metals it makes the metal harder. Up to a certain point. And then it also anneals.

In aluminum, and I suspect titanium, if you heat it up to a high temperature and quench it it will be dead soft whereas steel would be maximum hardness. As you heat the steel up to five, six, seven hundred degrees it gets soft, whereas these precipitation hardening alloys get hard.

Hey bluemax,
I’m sure going as dark as I did, had some effect. It hasn’t been a problem so far.

This is how I did it; completely remove any thread lock, hand polish w/simichrome, LP torch, paper clip, quench in avacado oil. It will take multiple heat/quench. Sometimes they 2-3 quenches, others took six. Be careful
Sounds like the darkening could be some kind of chemical reaction going on, precipitated by the application of heat.

Perfect! Thank you for the comparison photo here. That really helps.

M med001

Here is another comparison picture.

The SS SDFK scales are Buffed Red/Black from last years batch approximately February - March of 2023.
They have faded somewhat since getting them, not as sharp a contrast as originally they were.

The DEK scales are the new Buffed Double Red/Double Black Linen - early 2024.

Huge difference between the two of them, and I feel with a bit of your favorite oil added during wipe down they would really shine and show the contrast even more, if you so desire.

Both of mine shown are not wiped down with any oil or anything extra to make them shine, other than they both are Buffed, by CPK, not me.

Pictures just now taken outside, but in the shade behind a tree, still in natural sunlight. Zero picture enhancement or touch up of any kind at all, they look exactly like that.

Hope this may help you a bit too.

IMG_4101.jpeg

M med001

Here is another comparison picture.

The SS SDFK scales are Buffed Red/Black from last years batch approximately February - March of 2023.
They have faded somewhat since getting them, not as sharp a contrast as originally they were.

The DEK scales are the new Buffed Double Red/Double Black Linen - early 2024.

Huge difference between the two of them, and I feel with a bit of your favorite oil added during wipe down they would really shine and show the contrast even more, if you so desire.

Both of mine shown are not wiped down with any oil or anything extra to make them shine, other than they both are Buffed, by CPK, not me.

Pictures just now taken outside, but in the shade behind a tree, still in natural sunlight. Zero picture enhancement or touch up of any kind at all, they look exactly like that.

Hope this may help you a bit too.

View attachment 2558145
That's a terrific comparison and great info! Thank you sir!! You guys have made my decision much easier.

Mine just arrived. I am extremely impressed. I didn’t think the original could be improved upon. The handle changes subtly integrate the advantages of a sub-hilt without losing the utility of a standard handle. Very, very clever. The increased size of the upper guard is just right. Not too intrusive at all. I’m going to try this out generally as if it were a modern version of an 18th C “long knife” just to see how it goes. I have a feeling it can handle general tasks better than some might think.

I’m going to try this out generally as if it were a modern version of an 18th C “long knife” just to see how it goes. I have a feeling it can handle general tasks better than some might think.

I'm going carve a turkey or prime roast with mine because I'm not sure what else to do with it. I'm not really in the business of ventilating abdominals on a regular basis.

I'm going carve a turkey or prime roast with mine because I'm not sure what else to do with it. I'm not really in the business of ventilating abdominals on a regular basis.

That’s kind of the thing, right? At the end of the day this is an 8” long blade. It’s almost like a short dueling sword. But shiv 1.0 batoned and, with some fussing, feathersticked. This feels like it might handle that better.

Back