Shooting at looters in Pascagoula!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/12527205.htm

Great idea!

"Many people stayed in their homes during the storm, including Nanette Clark, who lives several blocks behind the boulevard. She and her friend, Jayne Davis, spent the night and day of the storm moving furniture to a higher floor as water lapped, then pounded, at the front door. Some water did seep in, but the door held.

"Davis was glad she stayed there; her own home was one of the St. Charles Condominiums in nearby Biloxi, where 30 people were killed by the storm surge on Monday.

"On Tuesday night, Davis said, she and Clark shot at looters from the second-floor balcony of her pink house with gingerbread trim. Nobody was injured and the looters scattered, she said. Many hand-painted signs in that neighborhood warned looters that they were likely to be shot by armed homeowners."

Maybe she needs some lessons in "GUN CONTROL." I always thought that gun control was being able to hold your gun well enough to hit your target!

Firearms advocates have long maintained that before the Guard could be moblized for Hurricane Andrew, it was private individuals who kept the looting down in the affected neighborhoods. As you know, there was a delay in getting help for Andrew.

This morning I learn that Looters shoot at Military helicopters trying to bring help.

Sort of makes one wonder why we bother. We do it for the other 99 out of a 100; but this sure is getting hard.

munk

The law-abiding think they still have to abide by the law. If it were announced over loud speakers that looters and car jackers could be shot in the act, folks would more likely take action.

Some don't need the loudspeakers...

I'm sure many of the looters see this new law of the jungle as novle and in some cases it might even be a step up from what they had. I mean, if you are poor, have nothing, and the only thing stopping you from taking what you want is the establishment what's a little water and no electricity. I know it sounds very unkind and down right mean, but I really wish there was a way to pinpoint those that need and want the get out of there and fly them to safety. Then, after all those that actually want to leave are evacuated, just knock a few more holes in the dikes. Let the filth and scum that prey on the weak and helpless wash away. You loot out of desperation, fine. Get your food. Get your water, get your clothes. You think you can get away with a TV from walmart? Ok, if you can lug around a big screen, keep it dry, and hold onto it long enough to get it back to your place once the water goes down, then you've probably earned it. It's not right. It's not fair, but thats a lot of dang work for a crappy $300 TV. When you start to mug, to horde, to restrict help to those that need it...you need to be shot. Shot in the thigh and pushed out into croc infested waters so that you can feel the fear of weakness that you bestowed on others. You need to learn what REAL predation is. Even if it is a short lesson.

Jake

The police chief, I think of Miami, was on Fox news yesterday saying that the age of shooting looters is over and we have to concentrate on safety instead.

A few more cops like that in Miami, and we'd lose Florida too.

munk

My family and I went down to Miami after Hurricane Andrew with a truckload of ice. There were a lot of fine people suffering and then there were a lot of a--holes who treated the aftermath like it was recess in some felonious third world playground.

Myself, I have real mixed feelings about looting. The people stealing food from a big box store I really can't fault.... I mean, any preparations they did make are likely under 10 to 20 feet of water and survival in NO is a gamble. But the ones robbing just because they can, well thats another matter entirely. I say shoot em dead!

Somewhere I have a photo of a dishevelled man laying on his pile of rubble and aiming his M4 at some looters down the street. Later on his sister took a break from making sandwhiches to stroll down the street with a .357 magnum and run some looters off. Thats how non-criminal south floridians handle their problems! These looters were going through people's rubble, stealing the few of their possessions that survived.

In such horendous times, and to me, there is just a huge difference between looting a grocery store for food and stealing from an individual. If I needed the food to feed my family I would take every last bit I needed from a grocery store but I would starve to death before I stole the food from the mouths of another's family.

I'm rambling here. time for coffee and to check the news.

Stores are people. We disassociate before we do harm. Someone is a a-hole so it's OK to treat him badly. Such and such a race of folks is no good. Jews were no good to the Nazis. Walmart is just a box store.

I know what you mean though. It's hard to get too worked up about a poor idiot stealing a TV from a large Dept store. But we have to start somewhere. Looting is wrong. You can't say 'take Walmart's stuff; but leave Harry's service station alone."

munk

Glen Beck did a whole segment this morning on the radio about shooting the looters and how some cops were even seen pilfering through the material. The funny thing about the stores is that they are just going to pass along the loss probably right back into the community when the store re-opens.

Now the looting has moved onto the parking garages around the hospitals.....cars being broken into and stereos taken. Just mob mentality.....sometimes the only way to maintain order is by force.

Beck did make an interesting point.....forget looting the Walmarts......what about the banks, museums and other historically significants locations? I'm sure Joe Cop isn't worrying about some priceless artifact. And I doubt the regular smuck on the street is going to go after the items......it's the pro's or the collectors for private holders that would go after the really valuable stuff. Kinda like an Ocean's Eleven thing

Just an interesting twist Beck had

munk said:
I know what you mean though. It's hard to get too worked up about a poor idiot stealing a TV from a large Dept store. But we have to start somewhere. Looting is wrong. You can't say 'take Walmart's stuff; but leave Harry's service station alone."

munk

I agree actually, munk. Someone who steals material goods is just a selfish oppurtunist willing to prey on his fellow man at his most vulnerable time. But I don't think I would even look twice at someone strictly taking food from the local super grocery- except to make sure they didn't show any undue interest in me or mine.

I read a short interview last night with an investment banker who joined in the looting just long enough to get some food in himself before returning to his hotel and waiting for evac; I believe he was eating stolen grapes as he spoke to the reporter. If you don't eat for a day or so, and there is nowhere to legally buy food, the rules start to change. He must eat; he has no food but knows where some is... who does he pay?

I hope that no one sees that as me advocating looting. If one needs the food to increase his chances of survival in a city like NO as it is now and one has no food then he must take the food where he finds it. It doesn't work the same with televisions, name brand shoes, etc. and unfortunately many still remaining in NO seem to have a desire to POSSESS at any means that is greater than any desire to survive.

I am worried about what will happen once all these same people realize just how little value their stolen goods have anymore- the next step in the breakdown of civility and society is a real nasty one.

I hope the National Guard gets there early today.

BruiseLeee said:
Is there a difference between looting and pillaging? :confused:

I think munks right......conquering hordes is the key word. You have to be visiting the place for it to be pillaging otherwise it's looting from your neighbors and that's just rude.

The Vikings did it best I think :)

I just read an on-line news report that appeared to be lifted directly from LUCIFER'S HAMMER, a sci-fi novel about an asteroid collosion with the earth.

Chaos.

On a different note, the Governor of Wisconsin mobilized...er...500? National Guard Troops, out-fitted them with food, water, and supplies for ten days and sent them down to New Orleans, along with an advance of three helicopter's worth of troops, complete with rescue lift capabilities.

They are on their way now. Houston opened up the Dome. Other people and states are trying to figure out a way to help.

And what we aren't seeing are the thousands of stories of heroic and selfless behavior--like Mike talked about, and what Mississippi Rifleman said he and his family were needed for...the "able-bodied" to help out. But the good behavior is far out-weighing the bad...I am positive of this.

hey, you know what? I retract much of what I've written. Reading Kismet's post caused a revelation in me. The people well enough off, "able bodied" that is, to steal food are well enough off to make their way to safety somewhere from which they could set about helping others.

They should be doing so, not stealing food or anything else. :(

Steely_Gunz said:
I'm sure many of the looters see this new law of the jungle as novle and in some cases it might even be a step up from what they had. I mean, if you are poor, have nothing, and the only thing stopping you from taking what you want is the establishment what's a little water and no electricity. I know it sounds very unkind and down right mean, but I really wish there was a way to pinpoint those that need and want the get out of there and fly them to safety.
Jake

"They say that patriotisim is the last refuge to wash a scoundrel clean. Steal a little and they'll throw you in jail, steal a lot and they'll make you king." - Jokerman - Bob Dylan

Seriously, I think over half of the National Guard is in Iraq. I think this is going to make a lot of people rethink their position against the right to bear arms. We country dwellers have always known we can't expect the man to protect us. It's apparently coming thru now to some city dwellers. :rolleyes:

roughedges said:
hey, you know what? I retract much of what I've written. Reading Kismet's post caused a revelation in me. The people well enough off, "able bodied" that is, to steal food are well enough off to make their way to safety somewhere from which they could set about helping others.

They should be doing so, not stealing food or anything else. :(

I do not think you know the area...

I-10 freeway is suspended WAY off the ground from city to city over there... You try and WALK out, and you will find yourself: bitten(by water moccasins), stung(by insects), eaten(by alligators), and drowned(by the swamp)! Not necessarily in that order...
I would rather try to walk out of the desert than that place...

And I-10 is BROKE in places!!! Yes, the freeway BROKE, because it is almost all causeway almost all the way to Texas!

No offence to the people of LA, but most of the lower part of LA is nothing but SWAMP, with cities on islands!:D

Stealing food? Forgivable. Looting homes or businesses? You're taking your life in your hands for a TV. There are reputable reports (ex-SF guy guarding his business) of rogue police smashing open ATMs, chasing looters so they can loot, etc. The National Guard needs to get there yesterday. My buddy (Marines Reserves) got called last night to volunteer.
I respect the right of an armed citizen to protect their life & property, but I don't want the Guard just going and shooting people. If they refuse to disperse if unarmed, or surrender if armed, then shoot. Or if you're in any danger, sure as hell shoot. In the end, they can do whatever is necessary to restore order, and they'll get my sincere thanks.

I doubt Looters are just as a matter of course shot on sight. But that needs to be the standard. If you step over the line that is the decision you've made. A guy with a basket of food is going to be let go by the Guard. A guy with a TV confronted, and a guy with an attitude or hostile demeanor shot. But this is soley the decision of the Guard. You can't start codifying a bunch of nuance when you are surrounded by Chaos and loss of life.

There isn't time and you will get more people killed. Allowing some 'good' looting as opposed to 'bad' looting encourages the breakdown of our society.

munk

BruiseLeee said:
Is there a difference between looting and pillaging? :confused:

BIG difference.

Pillagers typically have the means to and expectation of departing to a nice, quiet, unpillaged and unlooted area to enjoy the stuff that they have ripped off. No expectation whatsoever of having to worry about the consequences of the theft, because they live somewhere else, insulated from the effects.

Looters and pillagers are both reprehensable, but it appears that pillagers are more intelligent.

Back