SHOP TIP Logo /Stamp Trick $$ saver

Hi guys ... I just came up with a neat little trick that will save you a bundle if you are switching from a stamped logo to an etched one. I was having trouble with clarity when using the custom made yellow stencil material. I tried the green sheets that came with my el-cheapo etch-o-matic and they were crystal clear but I wasn't crazy about how my hand drawn logo looked and this is when I had the brainstorm. I put the small green stencil (about 10 came with the etcher), face up on a piece of cereal box cardboard (unwaxed kind) which I had sitting on my 14lb workbench anvil. Then I took my stamp that I got from Harper Mfg and using a small ball peen hammer lightly hammered the stamp onto the stencil making a clean cut.
The resulting etch is clean and exactly the same as I had been stamping.
I am going to be ordering either a roll of this stencil or the small sheets. Also if you are thinking of going to an etcher TRY the etch-o-matic before puting out big bucks on the fancy machines. I have to admit I was sceptical but it works great and is only $125.00 CDN/$69.00 USD.
One final money saver when it comes time to replace the felt pads on the handpiece go to a fabric store and for 75 cents you can get a thin 11 x 8 inch sheet of white felt. I made a template out of cereal box of the felt pads that came with the unit and now I have plenty of spares. No worrying about running out at a bad time and having to wait for delivery.
Almost forgot .... At the time you get the etcher get some etchant for Stainless Steel as the general purpose stuff that comes with the machine is crap.

Jim Ziegler aka Kraut

Back