1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Shop updates and pics

Discussion in 'Shannon Steel Labs' started by ShannonSteelLabs, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
  2. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Woah o_O.

Was this post-heat treat? I.e. could it be a heat treat problem?

You use Peters don't you? I'd be interested to hear what they think.

Were you putting it under stress at the time or just holding it?

3. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    I was just holding it.

I looked at if for 5 minutes.
    I thought I was actually hallucinating.

Never broken a blade before.
    Yes it was post HT.
    I'm currently looking into what happened.

Currawong and WValtakis like this.
  4. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Have you done any more "destruction testing" on the broken bits? ... Just to determine if the whole piece of steel stock is brittle, or if it was just in that one spot?

Something similar happened to Hunter Martin (Huntsman Knife Co) with Nitro V (link to bladeforums post), he said it was "rare nitrogen inclusions that formed due to the HT protocol used"

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  5. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    I have not done any more destructive testing.
    It will be sent to Peter's on friday or Saturday for analysis.

I do Remember that issue he had. Very odd.

6. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    S90V
    APEX
    Posted in the exchange.
    300 with kydex. Screenshot_20190721-164324_Gallery.jpg

danbot, Currawong and WValtakis like this.
  7. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Screenshot_20190727-123218_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190727-123214_Gallery.jpg

danbot and WValtakis like this.
  8. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
  9. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    She is at heat treat!

jlauffer and WValtakis like this.
  10. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Is she spoken for?

11. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    Nope. All the big Elmax blades are available!!!:D:D

12. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    All vanax is at peters.
    And Elmax.
    Hope to get it back soon and get things moving again!!!

WValtakis likes this.
  13. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Capture.JPG

ShannonSteelLabs likes this.
  14. ShannonSteelLabs

Sep 9, 2015
    One Elmax Camp blade is available!
    The new version of the Camp 1.
    New handle.