Recommendation? Should I do it . . . custom Andre Thorburn lefty

ALL:

I am so tempted. I know it is a bunch of money ($2050), and that I will never want to take it out in the world. But it is beautiful and the action is smooth as butter. I go by the store every few days just to play with it. (Luckily bladegallery.com is my local knife shop.)

Help me not buy this please.

https://www.bladegallery.com/shopexd.asp?id=102562

102562_1_x.jpg

Craig

Sorry, but you should buy it, and you know it.
I bought one after meeting him at a show. No regrets. As you say, that action is so smooth it's hard to believe.

I'm glad I don't live near that store!

ETA: just look at that bolster also...

Last edited:
Andre makes some of the best flippers on the planet. I think the only ones that are better are the A2's which are made by Andre Thorburn and Andre van Heerden together. :)

This one is beautiful, loverly materials and tasteful engraving from Julian Marchal. But I am biased, Andre has been my friend for years.

Good luck not buying it!:D

Sorry, but you should buy it, and you know it.
I bought one after meeting him at a show. No regrets. As you say, that action is so smooth it's hard to believe.

I'm glad I don't live near that store!

ETA: just look at that bolster also...

Well that's not helping! ;) I need a reason not to buy it.

Andre makes some of the best flippers on the planet. I think the only ones that are better are the A2's which are made by Andre Thorburn and Andre van Heerden together. :)

This one is beautiful, loverly materials and tasteful engraving from Julian Marchal. But I am biased, Andre has been my friend for years.

Good luck not buying it!:D

Is it worth the $2050. That seem high even for such a beautiful knife. I would love to buy one of the $850 ones, but this one is left-handed. They are hard to find.

That’s a beauty. Buy 2. I love my Thorburn.

Is it worth the $2050. That seem high even for such a beautiful knife. I would love to buy one of the $850 ones, but this one is left-handed. They are hard to find.
I've seen right-handed damascus go for around that much without the engraving.
I don't think you would lose money if you ever had to part with it.

The value of something is what you determine it to be.
As you say left handed ones are hard to find. This one is also what Andre refers to as a premium knife. He really fusses over these and they are tuned beautifully.
It has a Damasteel blade, Engraving and gold inlay from Julian (who has a wait time now of over a year) and some really nice Lightning Strike Carbon scales with a loverly one off coloured and patterned back spacer.
It's up to you but this knife is a beautiful piece with all the bells and whistles. Sure a plain Jane $850 knife will do everything this one will, but it's just not this one.

I have been collecting for almost 40 years and I have never regretted buying the very best I could. However I have often regretted passing on a piece that I really wanted and then never saw again.:)

The value of something is what you determine it to be.

Totally agree with this Steven, but market forces play into what you’re willing to play. I am new to Andre's knives, and I don't know the market. So what I am really asking is "Is this knife priced according to the market for what it is?"

Thanks for any insight you (and others) have here.

Last edited:
The price is VERY fair. Julien's engraving alone, along with his generous 24k accents account for at least half of asking.

I have never handled a better knife in construction than Andre's work, and I have never met a better man than Andre.

That you want the rare left handed version form a trouble-free dealer, and it's win/win/WIN.

Steven nailed it. I shoot knives for many dealers. This is a value.

EDIT: Oh, and Damasteel is EXPENSIVE. Yes it is. Another value.

Last edited:
buy it

IMG_0365.jpg

If it wasn't a lefty I would have been all over that.
With the Damasteel and engraving it's a nice price. Consider an A2 similarly dressed goes for about $600 more.

Very happy with mine.

Last edited:
My one Thorburn.
Yes I do carry it. I don't have safe queens.
In the grand scheme of things, yes it's an expensive knife, but it's still no Loveless. Carry it and be happy!

Totally agree with this Steven, but market forces play into what you’re willing to play. I am new to Andre's knives, and I don't know the market. So what I am really asking is "Is this knife priced according to the market for what it is?"
Thanks for any insight you (and others) have here.

Well that is a hard question to answer. All I can say is when I see some of the absolute crap being sold for far more than this it brings to mind the old expression......a fool and his money are soon parted.

You really are buying the very best you can here. If you saw the list of knifemakers that Andre has either directly tutored or given lengthy advice to you would be shocked. He and Andre van Heerden really are the flipper Guru's.

If you are asking me are you overpaying I would have to say no. Is it worth $2K to you? For me it would be, but you have to decide for yourself.
Remember it's just a knife and from a practical standpoint it will do nothing better than something one sixth of the price. It's up to you if you see the value in it.

jideta jideta ,
Do you EDC your Thorburns?

I don't. I have a big edc rotation of well used customs and factory knives but none of my Thorburn's are in that. You should not read anything into that other than I am a collector and All of my Thorburn's are part of my collection.
Here is one of mine.........

Knives for left handed people are few and far between so this specimen is going to be a tough act to follow if you don't grab it now. All the other work on the knife just kick it over the top. Your next issue or maybe your first issue is will you use\carry it??? Personally I'd carry it because I generally carry 3+ knives and use which knife best fits my current situation.

The nice thing is if you do use it you will definitely enjoy it more and.if something gets dinged you could always send it in to Andre for little cleaning up!! In my eyes there really is no down side with this knife.. Good luck with the mental jumping jacks and I'm hoping to see your pictures of said knife!!!!!

James

My thoughts.

My question would be,

how much of the knife was made by "hand" and how much was made by using "machinery?"

So, please fill me in on this information?

JS

My thoughts.

My question would be,

how much of the knife was made by "hand" and how much was made by using "machinery?"

So, please fill me in on this information?

JS

As far as I can tell about Andre Thorburn's - they are made entirely by hand. If others have info, please help out.

Back