Should I get a BK-9 ?

Hi everyone !
I love my Tramontina machete.I use it for chopping wood and brushes.It's pretty good for these tasks.But it doesnt have a sheath and is not good for splitting wood because it's only 2 mm thick.Or should I say 2 mm thin :D
I think that a BK-9 would be great to carry when hiking and camping.It's 5 mm thick so it should be great for batonning wood.The price here is O.K. - around 115 $.It'scheaper in the US,but with international shipping and stuff I think it's not really that expensive here :rolleyes:
But I've watched a test in www.knifetests.com and the BK-9 has broke when chopping a brick.Is this normal,or Noss has got a poor quality BK-9?I'm not going to chop bricks at all,but other knives has survived that test and some of them looked nott as tough as a BK-9.

P.S. - Another reason for wanting a BK-9 is the "Rock'N'Roll" factor - I think that smashing things with it would be awsome !!! :cool: :D

Hi everyone !
I love my Tramontina machete.I use it for chopping wood and brushes.It's pretty good for these tasks.But it doesnt have a sheath and is not good for splitting wood because it's only 2 mm thick.Or should I say 2 mm thin :D
I think that a BK-9 would be great to carry when hiking and camping.It's 5 mm thick so it should be great for batonning wood.The price here is O.K. - around 115 $.It'scheaper in the US,but with international shipping and stuff I think it's not really that expensive here :rolleyes:
But I've watched a test in www.knifetests.com and the BK-9 has broke when chopping a brick.Is this normal,or Noss has got a poor quality BK-9?I'm not going to chop bricks at all,but other knives has survived that test and some of them looked nott as tough as a BK-9.

P.S. - Another reason for wanting a BK-9 is the "Rock'N'Roll" factor - I think that smashing things with it would be awsome !!! :cool: :D

Yikes! I wouldn't have thought that possible! The blade just pinged and snapped like a twig! Its seems the blade is tempered a bit too hard?

The BK9 Noss used for his destruction test was one made by Camillus. Today's model is made by Ka-Bar out of 1095CV, which has less edge retention, but a lot more toughness. At least Mr Ethan Becker said so, and I think we can trust him. ;) According to the increased toughness, it seems very unlikely to me that a current BK9 would fail that way. That being said, I trust my Camillus BK9 no matter what as long as I don't try to destroy it.

It's nice thing that the new ones are stronger!
Do they have sceletonized tangs like these ?
60d1_12.jpg

The BK9 Noss used for his destruction test was one made by Camillus. Today's model is made by Ka-Bar out of 1095CV, which has less edge retention, but a lot more toughness. At least Mr Ethan Becker said so, and I think we can trust him. ;) According to the increased toughness, it seems very unlikely to me that a current BK9 would fail that way. That being said, I trust my Camillus BK9 no matter what as long as I don't try to destroy it.

Whew! That's good to know! Incase I ever have to chop my through a concrete wall or something similar. I have more faith in KA-BAR.

i would not buy a BK9. sorry, i can't recommend you buy one.

sorry.

buy three :)

sorry :)

Bladite

So it broke when chopping a brick. When will you ever be doing that WITH A KNIFE??!! Noss' videos are not practical knife tests.

BK Knives are fantastic though. I love my BK11 and BK2. I'm getting a BK7 soon. I dont have any desire for a 9 because as it's size suggests, its meant to ba a chopper, and imo... I'd rather have a camp axe axe for that.

So it broke when chopping a brick. When will you ever be doing that WITH A KNIFE??!! Noss' videos are not practical knife tests.

BK Knives are fantastic though. I love my BK11 and BK2. I'm getting a BK7 soon. I dont have any desire for a 9 because as it's size suggests, its meant to ba a chopper, and imo... I'd rather have a camp axe axe for that.

It is a ridiculous "test" of a knife as that is not what the knife was designed to do. It maybe more useful to test different steels at various degrees of hardness and actually determine what causes steel to ping at shear like it did. The BK9 was not designed as a tool to chop bricks or concrete. I could relate if he chopped a very hard piece of wood as you may find in a forest.

The BK9 was not designed as a tool to chop bricks or concrete. I could relate if he chopped a very hard piece of wood as you may find in a forest.

Imo, no knife is designed to beat cut through concrete. I would have issues if it broke while chopping wood though.

Zombaio.. I promise you wouldnt be dissapointed with the decision to get a BK2 first. I love mine and they are beasts. A BK2 and a BK9 would be a great combo. And since they are Beckers, you can get them both for less than $150. Get a Necker while you're at it.

Back