should I get the black or satin blade

Do you find you prefer one over the other? why? Im guessing the satin blade will flick easier because of less friction, which I would appreciate.

Most of us prefer satin blades; won't show scratches and scuffs as readily. And yes esp. around the pivot/tang area the blade could open smoother. With most stainless steels coating is mostly for looks, but for high-carbon steels like 1095, M2, and M4 protection it's important to prevent rust and corrosion, so coating is important. The key in any option is to keep both knife and blade clean.

Most of us prefer satin blades; won't show scratches and scuffs as readily. And yes esp. around the pivot/tang area the blade could open smoother. With most stainless steels coating is mostly for looks, but for high-carbon steels like 1095, M2, and M4 protection it's important to prevent rust and corrosion, so coating is important. The key in any option is to keep both knife and blade clean.

This!:thumbup:

I usually go satin. Hides wear and is smoother opening; I own a cerakote M4 Mini Grip and I absolutely hate the action on it. It's gritty and slow due to the cerakote, but I live with it because M4 is a beast at cutting performance. Still, I don't plan on ever getting another cerakoted blade, regardless of steel.

I have always oiled my folding knives for function enhancement and corrosion prevention. Break-Free CLP being my preferred oil. It's good stuff that has Teflon in it for added lubricity and really add's to the smoothness of blade deployment. I've found that after a few days of normal use my knives break or settle in and all smooth out pretty well coated or not but coated blades can, not always but can on occasion be lesss smooth, at least initially

I usually go satin. Hides wear and is smoother opening; I own a cerakote M4 Mini Grip and I absolutely hate the action on it. It's gritty and slow due to the cerakote, but I live with it because M4 is a beast at cutting performance. Still, I don't plan on ever getting another cerakoted blade, regardless of steel.
I prefer DLC blades. I don't care much for the cerakote. For the record, my M4 Griptilian is as smooth as smooth can be. The pivot may need cleaned on yours because mine doesn't feel the least bit gritty.

I personally like the look of a black blade. I don't use my knives much so there will be no wear for it to show. And in my experience I've found black blades to open just as smooth as a satin blade.

I like the look of a black blade with black scales and hardware, also looks good when the knife has bright colored anodized scales really pops.

Plain blades to me are more timeless and classy, definitely gives it a more refined look. I hate sliver hardware and clips though fugly; liners I can live with.

Either will wear in and be equally smooth to open and close. I guess if you're OCD a plain blade and plastic or g10 handles would be the safest bet as if you use your knife a lot the black will begin to wear thin over time. I personally like the look of a well used EDC knife...especially with anodized scales wearing on the edges, looks used and loved.

Last edited:
I prefer non coated blades but I have a KW Grip with black blade and have come to like it a lot.
Sure it shows wear a bit easier but I see no difference in performance.

For EDC I like black knives (blade and handles).
I usually use them for small jobs so they shall not have too much marks on the coating and with blade and handle having the same color the edge often looks like being shorter than it actually is.

For heavier folder that I am using for hiking I prefer satin blades.
I this case discretion is less important for me and it prevent having too much marks on the blade...

cerakote will be just as smooth opening. not gritty.

Not always. I had to buff out both of my Contegos as the finish was fairly rough on the whole blade. While Benchmade makes a great product with great CS, their blade coatings, black and cerakote, have scratched very easily for me under normal use. I prefer satin blades for Benchmade products. I love Benchmades and have probably a dozen of their knives but the best coating I have ever used has been the Kershaw DLC or Boron coatings.

Black is way more tactical for when you're sneakin' around in the dark cuttin' throats and stuff.

Seriously, the ONLY black coated stainless blade I own is an Aphid and that's simply because it's all I could find since it was out of production.

YMMV but years ago I preferred black blades...but they always wind up looking like garbage. Satin is just a whole lot easier to keep looking reasonable. And I need to say I don't understand coating the blade if the excuse is corrosion protection. There's only one part of the blade that REALLY matters and you can't coat the edge. :rolleyes:

my M4 Griptilian is as smooth as smooth can be. The pivot may need cleaned on yours because mine doesn't feel the least bit gritty.

Mine too, I been carrying my M4 grip A LOT! Sure, the black will wear a bit worse but it's my EDC work knife so I'd rather have the function over aesthetics.

if anything, black just happens to define the perfect choice for low glare tactical usage.
but other than that visual cloaking mode,
i can't see anything but heartache once it starts to loose it's black finishing.

I've never owned a coated blade. All mine are satin. But I will admit that a few knives look delightfully ghoulish with a black blade (and hardware). The all-black Manix2 comes to mind. Looks devilish.

Back