Should I sand this out?

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
I've got this really sweet, just finished large Nessmuk. The stabalized curly Hickory handle chipped as I inserted the lanyard tube. Should I take these scales down (from just right) to skinney to sand out that nick? The pins, bullseye filler, and liner are natural canvas micarta.

kphheaven103_1934-vi.jpg

kphheaven103_1935-vi.jpg

kphheaven103_1936-vi.jpg

I think you won't be happy unless you sand it out.

Or make a bigger bull's eye?

This knife locks into your grip though. Its hard to just sand out 1/8" and have a skinney handle.

I love Hickory. That's a tough one....maybe somebody is looking for a hard use Nessmuk? They are just too big for my hand or I would try to wheedle you out of it! :)

Personally, if it was me, I would color match an epoxy and then finish the slabs in mineral oil.
Love your nessies Andy. Just Awesome, even flawed. I should know.

I would leave it as is, and sell it to mustardman for a discounted price, but that's just me :D

I used sawdust from the wood itself to fill the hole, but the match didn't blend well. I'll likely sand it out. Stinks. Its a nice fit.

bahhhh don't ruin good ergonomics for appearances. I'd just bang up that handle eventually anyway :thumbup: :D

I think you should do like Fender Guitars does with their "Relic" guitars. They spend a bunch of time and effort to make them look worn and well used. Then they charge more money for it!

No. I spent the day in the city stocking up on wood. This knifemaking is getting expensive. Plus, I'm kinda addicted to the woodworking part. Got lots of pretties.

Making errors is a part of who we are. Human, to be more obvious. :)
I think that slight flaw only adds more personality to a knife! By that flaw this knife becomes unique. The physics and the ergonomics behind the knife are unaltered so you just might leave it like this.
But that's only a man's opinion.......:D

fill it with superglue or some other filler and sand it, nobody is going to mind!

Back