Should I ?

While out and about today I plan to stop at one of my local stores and check out a 581 Barrage. While I have more than a few Benchmades and any number of assisted openers from other makers I only have one Benchmade AO and that is the Subrosa which I like very much. From the reviews and product info off the BM website the Barrage looks pretty nice. I'm fond of the M390 steel and the Axis lock is one of my all time favorites. That being said I've never had an Axis lock and an AO in the same knife. Anyone care to post any negatives they may have found after purchasing a 581? TIA

Same here, no negatives. My 581, and his little brother the 586 (when something a little smaller/lighter is desired) is my favorite EDC and Benchmade knives.

Go ahead and get it. The 581 and it's older brother, the 580 are great designs and rock solid. While there are a lot of us de-assisting theirs, reports of lock failure are very rare on the other hand. The high flat grind on the M390 blade makes for a heckuva slicing tool.

The 580 series is one of the most solid axis lock knives I have. My 585 is extremely well made and the 581 is even better. If you dont like the axis assist they are pretty easy to de-assist, I did mine and its even better now. The only down side about mine is I bought the combo edge version cuz it looked cool but didnt realize how impractical it is for my needs lol.

Negatives on Assisted AXIS...? Well, closing the blade with one hand is a bit of choir.

As many others have stated here, 581 is smoother than 580 IMO. With G10 instead of Valox grip makes it nearly flawless.

MFL

Thanks to all for the replies. All they had in stock was the mini Barrage so I decided to get the 162 Bushcrafter for now and will get the 581 next time. Did handle the mini and found it to my liking, just a little small so when the 581 is back in stock I'll be good to go.

The 581 is awesome.
The only thing about it that some people don't like is the overall thickness. Compared to some other Benchmades, it is a bit "fat".

IMG_2785b_zps096a221d.jpg

Back