Shoulder\Joint Pain & supplements

Does anyone take glucosamine\chondritan for joint pain? I've got chronic shoulder pain (rotator cuff, bankhardts surgery and acromioplasty on the left from multiple dislocations, aches and pain on the right). Not an acute injury at this point, thats been taken care of. I do a little regular stretching but no longer do the "therapy" excercises, which I think I'm goint to start again.

I've heard that this supplement actually works pretty good, so I'm wondering about it.

Thanks.

I have had bouts with knee and shoulder pain over the past few years. My orthopedic doc. finally did surgery on the shoulder and that has helped immensely. The recovery period was long and arduous, however. Full recovery took about a year, but my upper body is now stronger than ever before. The knee still gives me fits from time to time. Just arthritis...not much can be done until it is time for a TKR...total knee replacement. :eek:

That said, my family doc. recommended glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. Vet recommended glucosamine for my black lab as well. She will have future hip problems. Wife and I take glucosamine and MSM twice a day. We both think it has helped us. I'd say try some for 3 or 4 months and see if it helps any. I think the usual dose is 1200mg/day.

Jeff

BruiseLeee said:
I rub my scope on painful joints. You should get one of those. :rolleyes: ;) :)

So you're saying I should get my other shoulder arthoscoped too?

:D Come on a guy with over 5,000 posts giving me a hard time about starting two threads????:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have surgery, personally. Here are my $0.000000000000002 worth of suggestions:

The shoulders and everything are all interconnected. Most of us have very tight back muscles and very tight pectorals. The result is that we are always pulling the shoulders forward and putting exaggerated curve in our lower back. This messes us up bigtime.

Posture improvement is the big thing that helps. Specifically, pulling up your abs so your pelvis is level rather than tilted. In other words, removing excess curve in the lower back. When you do this, you should be able to stand against a wall with your heels, butt, shoulders and head all against the wall.

This is hard at first. You have to remember to pull your abs up all the time. But after a few months it becomes second nature. My troubles have largely disappeared.

Also, correct things like walking with your feet stuck out like duck feet. Work on walking straight with your feet straight ahead and your knees facing directly in front of you rather than out or in. It all makes a huge difference.

What can make this easier in acute pain circumstances is visiting a practitioner who does Active Release Technique, or ART. ART gives very quick pain relief by freeing the muscles, and it is very safe.

I take glucosamine\chondritan MSM for my knee............seems to work.

Just won a tennis match tonight ! :D

I do have experience with a supplement that works well --turmeric extract, standardized extract of curcumin. Turmeric is the intense yellow herb used in Indian cooking and to color mustard and has thousands of years of use.

Take it with a Milkthistle standardized extract of silymarin and they are synergistic. The Milkthistle enhances the curcumin's activity. You may have a bit of a loose stool as that is the major side effect.

As powerful as NSAIDs like ibuprofen but good for your liver and not harmful. No analgesic effect but a powerful anti-inflammatory.

Shann said:
Does anyone take glucosamine\chondritan for joint pain? I've got chronic shoulder pain (rotator cuff, bankhardts surgery and acromioplasty on the left from multiple dislocations, aches and pain on the right). Not an acute injury at this point, thats been taken care of. I do a little regular stretching but no longer do the "therapy" excercises, which I think I'm goint to start again.

I've heard that this supplement actually works pretty good, so I'm wondering about it.

Thanks.

Shann the glucosamine\chondritan really does help and especially along with the MSM.
I started taking it after my second back surgery but quit when I had my third one. The reason I quit was because instead of growing all the bone I needed in the fusion I was growing cartilage instead, but that's what the supplements are supposed to help take place. When Dr. Gaede went in on the third surgery he found the cartilage and had to remove it and then re-fuse the L-2 to L-1 vertebrate with new bone.

Jeff with the trouble you're having with your knee it's very possible that the Synvisc injections could really help!!!!
I have both of my knee's done twice a year and I'm due for a round now but will wait until after my back surgery finally takes place.
The Synvisc doesn't last forever but it sure can help alleviate the pain for a long time.
It doesn't take the place of any NSAIDS or other OA meds, just helps them along.
Check it out if you don't already know about it.;)

http://us.synvisc.com/

Yvsa said:
Shann the glucosamine\chondritan really does help and especially along with the MSM.
I started taking it after my second back surgery but quit when I had my third one. The reason I quit was because instead of growing all the bone I needed in the fusion I was growing cartilage instead, but that's what the supplements are supposed to help take place. When Dr. Gaede went in on the third surgery he found the cartilage and had to remove it and then re-fuse the L-2 to L-1 vertebrate with new bone.

Jeff with the trouble you're having with your knee it's very possible that the Synvisc injections could really help!!!!
I have both of my knee's done twice a year and I'm due for a round now but will wait until after my back surgery finally takes place.
The Synvisc doesn't last forever but it sure can help alleviate the pain for a long time.
It doesn't take the place of any NSAIDS or other OA meds, just helps them along.
Check it out if you don't already know about it.;)

http://us.synvisc.com/

Yvsa:

The family doc. told me about Synvisc. I am not quite there yet, but will certainly try that first before the TKR. Anything before a knee replacement....

Jeff

devo55 said:
Yvsa:

The family doc. told me about Synvisc. I am not quite there yet, but will certainly try that first before the TKR. Anything before a knee replacement....

Jeff

Jeff even with your knee's bothering you from time to time you're there whether you realize it or not.;) :)
Actually now is a good time for the Synvisc before further damage occurs.
The glucosamine\chondroitan along with the MSM will help to restore cartilage and the Synvisc will ease the way for you while the other is working.
If you have insurance the Synvisc is paid for, even Medicare pays for it two or three times a year.
IIRC you can be injected with the Synvisc a little more often than six months.
The Synvisc is sorta like a supplemental cartilage and really helps with the pain as well as ease of movement in the joint.:thumbup:
I just wish the AMA would okay its use for other joints like the Sacroilliac and hip socket joints.:(
Dr. Anthony says it will happen one day and I'm hoping that I'll still be able to utilize and take advantage of its somewhat healing properties before it's too late and I'm forced to have a hip or both hip joints replaced.

cognitivefun wrote:

I do have experience with a supplement that works well --turmeric extract, standardized extract of curcumin. Turmeric is the intense yellow herb used in Indian cooking and to color mustard and has thousands of years of use.

Recent studies have shown that curcumin helps significantly in preventing cancer ... in mice.

-- Russ

Well, I got a bottle of "Nature's Collagan" by DaVinci Laboratories of Vermont. All natural, yada yada. I got enough 45 days, so we'll see how it works.

I also got their OMNI multi-vitamin and mineral.

This stuff is pretty expensive, but its supposed to be good, according to the pharmacist.

I've got a lot of little aches and pains and one or two big ones. They're worse when it's cold and damp out - approximately 70% of the year around here. The military docs all agreed that there's nothing there that they can fix. We'll see what the VA's doc says.

It's getting hard to ignore now and I'm looking into options but I'm trying to stay at the topical analgesic level. One product that several people have recommended to me (but I haven't tried yet) is DMSO. There are a lot of opinions on this one; do some reading on it before you make up your mind. For the record, the folks that recommended it to me swear by it and know what they're talking about.

I saw a recipe for homebrew Tiger Balm that I'm going to try. I'll get back to you on that one.

Let me know how the collagan works out for you.

My favorite suppliment for rotator cuffs and elbows is cortico steroid.

I think my diet is lacking in it...

"DMSO"

Won't offer an opinion on dmso itself

but caution !

dmso will carry --everything-- through one's skin

impurities
contaminants on your skin
contaminants in/from the container/applicator
etc
etc
etc

Don't buy industrial grade