Shovel/multi tool

SRWeldon

Platinum Member
I'm wondering if anyone could make a recommendation on a small foldable shovel. I'm looking for something that has different attachments. I'm wanting it keep on my atv. Thanks.

For actually digging, outside of a genuine surplus shovel with a built in spike for breaking ground, most are pretty well junk for real digging. You would be better off with a regular shovel either D handle, or just cut down a spade to fit the rack of the ATV. The folding shovels add weight and weakness. In my opinion, its one of those tools where the compromise to get more features doesn't play out to a useful tool.

Look at the cold steel shovel compact wood handle you could make a replacement in the woods if needed. Digs great for its size. Sides are sharp enough to use as a chopper . I can sharpened to cut small wood decently

Ive got the GLOCK folding shovel and used to have an old E-Tool but must admit to not being keen on the folding feature.
Some of the folding shovels look to be a bit 'gimmicky,' not very sturdy and maybe even wobbly. Not least some in this thread (just my opinion and I may be wrong).

Does is have to be able to fold and do you need the attachments?
As mentioned I find that type of shovel gimmicky and I for example never use the stashed saw in the GLOCK shovel.
IMO its better to carry a dedicated shovel that works, when you need it instead of some wobbly thing which might not be too sturdy or which might break.
I got a titanium shovel directly from Russia (supposedly military) - well, two small titanium shovels actually - and they are pretty solid and well made. Cheap as well even with shipping.
If you want a compact solid shovel, which weighs next to nothing, maybe check out the Russian titanium shovels.
I often pack one or both in/on my ruck and never even notice, as they are both so light weight. A compact saw is strapped to the pack as well.
Heartedly recommended.

QUZyLNq.jpg

ZMSYUuV.jpg

The first one has a wooden handle. The second smaller one was ordered wothout a handle. Its used for covering the fire/embers after use amongst other jobs.

A small Bacho Laplander or this Agawa is often carried as well depending on the trip and tasks. Neither weighs much and both are compact. Neither shovel nor saw would be in the way and Ive carried both on a mid-sized ATV.
mLJ4lYK.jpg

SUXJSQ9.jpg

Last edited:
The cold steel special forces shovel is an inexpensive rugged non folding alternative.

I think after doing a little more research and reading the comments in this thread I will go with a smaller solid shovel. Most any of them will fit in the trunk box on my can am outlander so i figured why buy something that will most likely break. Thanks for the responses.

I think after doing a little more research and reading the comments in this thread I will go with a smaller solid shovel. Most any of them will fit in the trunk box on my can am outlander so i figured why buy something that will most likely break. Thanks for the responses.
:thumbsup:

Depending on your maximum length requirement take a look at the Bully Tools Trunk shovel, except for the very top D handle the whole thing is one piece of steel, made in the USA for about $25. I just got one to carry in my truck when out in desert/woods and seems pretty solid, I may move to a more medium sized shovel later as I have the room, but it feels quality.

Grunts have used the Gerber folding e-tool for many years to dig fighting holes. It just plain works. A bit heavy though.

Back