Show us your Randalls

To me, the choil looks a tad less deep, but not as much as I originally thought. It could very well be the camera lens playing tricks. Regardless, it's a beautiful knife with great lines. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. Thanks of the photo, Anthony, and taking the time to post it. :thumbup:

Dang! That's a good looking knife. :thumbup::thumbup:

It is! I know a guy that used to own one just like it... ;)

Dug this out of the safe today. Another from the 'Something you don't see every day' Files - Randall Model #14 'Attack' knife built with a Model #18 handle. About a dozen of these were made in the mid to late 1980's from Model #14 blades that had tangs break during the forging process. From the sheath type (loose stitch JRB), and end cap type (straight line), this would be one of the earlier variants.

RMK_14-18.jpg

Still in original, unused condition. O1 blade, no compass. The sheath has all the tie-downs, and only minor staining as shown in the photo. Pretty cool.

[emoji106]this is a truly rare. How is the hollow handle attached to the blade and hilt?

Don

It is! I know a guy that used to own one just like it... ;)
I know of who you speak! He must have been feeling generous that day to not only let go of a beautiful Model 5, but to also part with this gem as well.

How is the hollow handle attached to the blade and hilt?
"On #18’s, we use 1100 degree silver solder for the 172,000 psi necessary for strength of attaching the hilts and handles." - Gary Randall

"On #18’s, we use 1100 degree silver solder for the 172,000 psi necessary for strength of attaching the hilts and handles." - Gary Randall

Thanks for the info. Before this, I thought the handle and the blade are one single piece of steel.

Before this, I thought the handle and the blade are one single piece of steel.

Very few hollow handle knifemakers use a single piece of steel. Chris Reeve did, but his One Piece Range has been discontinued.

40620c8ab981c9c8c665e160c40dec5a.jpg

Guess it's 5.5 years now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should both be getting ours around the same time. Mine's a GTR Special. I'll post mine if you post yours. ;)

5f7b07ea110e48b6576370197e702f0c.jpg

Got my letter earlier this week. [emoji3]

Hi, could you please post here few pictures of big Smithsonian Bowie 12? That's my absolutely no 1 from all Randalls, had many things to do since I wanted to place order for this one, must do it asap.... THANKS

I'm new to Randalls so I bought two to review with the purpose of keeping just one
I tried a leather handle Gamemaster 4-1/2" and Model 5 camp and trail 5"
I didn't know the cutting length was .8-1" shorter than listed due to the area in front of the guard, whatever they call that area :)

I kept the Model 5. the stag handle seemed quite large but I have large hands,
It appears to have a working edge, meaning not scary sharp, I'll try honing it

I bought this as part of a several knife cutting test I'll be doing over the next few weeks.

469D8DBA-39F5-45A8-964E-14C03DFD75BF_zps7yiw3g4r.jpg

E09AA2D6-ED9A-42EE-A7ED-2B810A386587_zpsnzprvzvv.jpg

57A9D29C-3C1B-468B-BA5D-92AA2B74E4A9_zpsne2jxzbm.jpg

85126CE1-1E1B-4B37-8D1B-8BB8108BCF0A_zpsekbckwyi.jpg

Well, after wanting one since 1975, I finally pulled the trigger.

My new 25-5 Trapper,

Put it to work right away. Out of fear it would become a safe queen.

It sure is a pretty thing,

Last edited:
Congrats on your first Randall, LV. Better late than never. Nice stag. I like all of the white, smooth, polished area. Did that baby come with a sheath? The sheaths are just as nice as the knives. ;)

Congrats on your first Randall, LV. Better late than never. Nice stag. I like all of the white, smooth, polished area. Did that baby come with a sheath? The sheaths are just as nice as the knives. ;)

TAH,

You aren't kidding.

I think the sheath is pure genius.

It rides nice and tight to the body. Extracting and resheathing is straight forward. Retention is great, fits snug, and no noise.

I especially like that when you push the knife in or extract it, the guard spreads the leather flaps apart far enough that the guard snap doesn't contact the guard. No metal to metal contact.

Plus, if you need the knife in a real big hurry, all you have to do is grab the handle and pull up on it. The force of the guard unsnaps the snap for you. Yet this would be next to impossible to have happen by accident.

I think the sheath is an integral part of the total system. And this one is way better than most.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the whole package.

Back