1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 21 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Knives Megatherium, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Showing off my wares...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by R.C.Reichert, May 15, 2019.

1. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008
    What do you guys think looks better on my knives...hand stitching or the leather lacing? Granted I need more practice hand stitching.

[​IMG]
    top 1000 baby boy names

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seanj likes this.
  2. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    Personally I prefer hand stitching. However your lacing looks much better than most I've seen.

3. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Another vote for the hand stitching. I think Bill Moran's style of stitching would also look great with your style of knives, as the stitching also has a bit of a rustic appeal. I know Karl Andersen often uses that style on his hunter sheaths if you're not familiar of what I'm talking about. I dunno if Bill came up with it but I believe he teaches it in one of his books.

Nice work

(edited to add) You can see an example in the first part of the video below:

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. JTknives

JTknives We make you Hard Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I am not a fan of lacing. The lacing is exposed and could get damaged and compromise the structural integrity of the sheath. This is why you cut a groove for your stitches to lay in. To my lacing just hooks hokey and cheap

5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Stitching is far better than lacing in most all cases. Use a stitch groover to get the stitching below the surface.

If you are going tom
    lace,use a western triple loop stitch.

Ken H> likes this.
  6. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i vote for stitching.

7. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    To me lacing is pretty and impractical, nice for a look-at sheath, not so much for hard use.

GoldSkula likes this.
  8. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    I agree with everyone else hand stitching over lacing

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    If you do a saddle stitch when hand stitching each individual stitch is locked down. If one stitch is broken due to wear and tear your sheath is still functional and can easily be repaired. With the lacing this isn't so.

E.Carlson likes this.
  10. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Lacing looks too much like the cheap Tandy Leather sheaths kits or perhaps some cub scout project for my taste.

11. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, I appreciate the feedback! I will say though that even if I didn't stitch or lace my sheaths at all, the way in which I make them, they would still be 100% functional and will not come apart.

12. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Another vote for stitching!

The only other aesthetic adjustment I'd make (which you totally didn't ask for comments on) is to move away from the squared-off sheath top/mouth/opening. To me, that style looks like it was just chopped off with a paper cutter (not just yours, any done this way) compared to the pretty curves on your blades. Having some sort of contour there will also help your scale-fronts slip into the sheath easier, without affecting retention in a negative way.

More power to you for being willing to do hand-stitched leather! :thumbsup: I gave up holster-making in part due to the excruciating finger work (investing in upscaling your tools I'm sure helps).

13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Another vote for stitching. I've had saddle stitched sheaths for 3 decades and have not had a lock stitch come undone.

14. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008

I 100% agree on the contouring. I was actually thinking the exact same thing, but alas...these are already made and I think they are still saleable quality

15. GoldSkula

GoldSkula

Jun 14, 2018
    I agree with Dan. Lacing is pretty but not very practical.

16. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    If you are interested in upping your leather skills and you haven't already, check out Sheaths and Such here on BF. Like here you'll get better results asking about specific techniques and or questions as opposed to saying tell me how to make a sheath. Incredible amount of info and experience there.

17. E.Carlson

E.Carlson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2016
    My every day sheath has had a busted saddle switch for over a year. I will fix it if it starts coming apart, but none of the other stitches have loosened a bit!