Sifu Debuts on Bagel Table

Took my D2 SE to the health club this morning and after getting my coffee, I washed the Sifu's blade off and sat down at the bagel table. I had already shown it to the cool front desk lady (she knows I'm a knife person and that I teach S-D at the university). Two women were sitting at the table (I had gotten a coffee for one of them), and I picked out a blueberry bagel and went to work.
smile.gif

Everyone (about six folks) seemed impressed with my new bagelslicer. Mostly, they are older folks and most have seen me around so fortunately the fear factor ain't there. I left it opened on the table as I usually do with my Endura or pink Delica, but no one else picked it up to cut with.
frown.gif
Some people just take whole bagels when they leave, and there was only one guy who cut his bagel with the plastic knife. I didn't know him too well so I didn't offer my new blade.

All in all, a nice intro to polite society!

Risking social ostracism in the name of the cause,

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

I used MY Sifu to cut my steak a few days ago in a fairly "classy" restaurant (Bridges), and man did I get some "looks".
smile.gif

It's just too darn much fun "playing with the Sheeple" to pass up an opportunity when one is available...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

[This message has been edited by glockman99 (edited 05-18-2001).]

I missed the classy restaurant on my few jaunts to Grays Harbor. Real surprised to hear they have one.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Bugs3x,

Next time you are around Aberdeen, give me a shout, and we'll go have a beer. (I'm in the phone book.).
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Thanks both for doing that and for reporting back on it. The bagel experiment sounds like a success!

--Bob Q

A couple of weeks ago I used mine to disembowel a spiked watermelon.

The fear factor was high, but I calmly explained how it is legal to possess it in Louisiana.

Got some kewl stares though...hehe.

------------------

"There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons and scales than
there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's a simple fact."
-James Keating-

You crack me up!!!
biggrin.gif

That might just become my "litmus" test for knife practicality. Is it better to use fresh or week old bagels?

When my fixed blade Hobbit Warrior makes it here, its straight to the cutting board....

These bagels were fresh. I'm still refining my technique, as a full swing might work well yet not be prudent for the environment.
(Actually, my pink Delica seems to be my best bagel cutter, at least using "civilized" cutting techniques.)

As for the spreading of the cream cheese, the plastic knives provided are perfect for that messy job. No way am I going to use a black ti blade to spread cream cheese!

I do have SOME sense of proportion.

Karl

Karl what I want to know is if the bagels were cringing in abject terror. I know that I intimidated the Hell out of an apple once with mine.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Update:

Yesterday I put the Sifu back on the bagel table and waited (after cutting my own bagels). A young mother then used it to cut her daughter's bagel! She made a couple of comments about "what a knife" etc. Wasn't particularly afraid. She thanked me afterwards.

Mission successful.

There is yet hope.
smile.gif

Karl

Back