Review Sigma: A Shirogorov/Sinkevich Collaboration

CPP

Vd10U1I.jpg

In what may have been the first lottery I have ever won, I was selected as one of 200 people–100 outside of Russia–who were afforded the opportunity to buy one of several Shirogorov/Sinkevich collaborations from the only authorized dealer for international buyers. This is another knife that defied my expectations and pushed me outside of my comfort zone. The Sebenza 21, the Emerson Mini A100 and the Benchmade Valet have been knives that instantly appealed to me due to their simple–perhaps plain–designs that rely heavily upon relatively straight lines. The Sigma, as you can see does not have many straight lines, but I decided to give it a chance. And I have no regrets about this decision.
QqISKTm.jpg

Curvaceous as the Sigma may be, every curve has a function: providing the user with a superlative grip, both comfortable and secure. The underside of the handle is the only straight line on this knife other than Shirogorov's signature plunge lines.
35qVgF0.jpg

The amount of contouring on the carbon fiber handle scales multiplies the comfort of the grip, tapering significantly toward the spine. The carbon fiber has also been extensively textured in a complex concentric circle pattern increasing the security of one's grip.
wZBhKwU.jpg

The blade is unusual–at least in my limited experience. A triangular Persian shape with a slight bulge toward the tip. The flipper tab is almost in line with the cutting edge and is therefore less likely to obstruct any cutting on a flat surface.
rNmzFT2.jpg

The flipper tab is barely proud of the handle yet provides authoritative and consistent opening. True to Shirogorov's reputation the action is extremely smooth and all the more satisfying due to the diminutive profile of the tab.
3Ymj9CJ.jpg

The handle scales are solid carbon fiber without liners which makes the Sigma surprisingly light for size. The locking mechanism is composed of a titanium "tab" attached to the scales by two screws concealed under the pocket clip. There is a steel insert on the locking tab and lockup is firm at 20%.
r5q9ln2.jpg

The pocket clip is perfectly functional and is a unique blend of a sculpted clip and a spring clip. The backspacer is anodized titanium and features a lanyard loop sunken into the scales.
9eor785.jpg

The backspacer only partially spaces the scales apart as the scales are milled in such a way as to serve half of that purpose. I would love to see fixed blade version of this knife made as it would be the perfect paring knife for the kitchen. Maybe someday.

Great review . Thanks for posting it. I particularly liked your comments of the handle design.

Along the same lines as your conclusion, I would love to have a fixed blade version of my F3. With all the customs I’ve gotten into it’s probably only a matter before I commission one.

Along the same lines as your conclusion, I would love to have a fixed blade version of my F3. With all the customs I’ve gotten into it’s probably only a matter before I commission one.
I consider my F3R my folding fixed blade as it can handle any of my heavier tasks short of preparing firewood. Shiro making fixed would also simultaneously solve the problem of knives for lefties. Sort of...

I can only imagine Shirogorov knows the demand for fixed blades versions of their designs and has considered it. Whether or they go ahead is anybody’s guess.

I dug up this image of Jens Anso's daily carry from his instagram feed as I remembered being struck by the admiration one great knife maker has for another.
jcElPIO.png

Hello. I don't have a lot of awareness of Shirogorov and/or Sinkevich knives, designs, and models. From what I gather they are very well regarded and what I have read is very impressive. Having said that, I really like this particular knife! Very good for you that you were able to acquire it. Enjoy!

I recently let go of several Shiros and decided to keep three, one of which figures into this afternoon's activities although I'm not sure how...
mESlZGt.jpg
BALslxu.jpg
XvLOYbY.jpg

I recently sold off four out of five of my Shirogorov collaborations and kept my absolute favorite and the one I got first. I hadn't used any of the collabs but was considering using the Sigma but the reason for my reluctance was irrational; I was skeptical of the strength of liner-less carbon fiber scales. This was irrational as I use my knives appropriately. In addition, my mountain bike is made primarily of carbon fiber: the frame and the rear posts, the cranks and the rims and it takes more of a beating than would ever be asked of a knife. The final barrier to putting the Sigma to use was knocked down after discussing the matter with a certain @ChazzyP. So today, I used it for the first time. I always felt as thought the Sigma has a paring knife profile so I put it to use in the kitchen.
a3HFeIk.jpg

Just as I began using it, very loud thunder erupted overhead and it began to down pour.
DgIJnsg.jpg
gSfFpaB.jpg

The factory edge was as sharp as you would expect making mincing garlic fun.
beopKC0.jpg

The dish, Paprika Chicken, I was making is delicious, healthy and simple and only requires one skillet.
wPJRxKD.jpg

As you can see in the above photo, the carbon fiber scales were able to withstand the abuse hurled at them cutting a red pepper and two gloves of garlic.

I present to you my all-time favorite knife, the Shirogorov Sigma featuring a titanium tab-lock, hardware, pocket clip and anodized back spacer. I included a close-up of the flipper tab which, considering its very low profile juxtaposed with a large blade, could be its most impressive feature.
ahvLqtZ.jpg
Gbggxom.jpg
5m6S4kd.jpg
OJ2ueSE.jpg

Back