SILLY TESTS - BAS vs WWII vs Villager

Just got my Kumar Villager - absolutely beautiful knife, don't have to worry about scratching it.

I was sharpening my Khuks with a butchers steel and thought of a nice way to meausure their chopping power. I took an old phone book (very thick) and wacked it with all three khuks. I used the same power, angle and height in my swings and to my surprise the BAS cut the deepest, much further than the WWII or villager.

I then discovered that each knife has it's own power zone. All 3 are shaving sharp with about a 25-30 degree edge. Weird - the BAS deffinetly causes the most damage. My villager is mishaped in the belly, looks like it has been flatened or something, the curve is'nt continuos !!

Can anyone give me advice on sharpening - one side of my khuks seem to have more "catch" than the other side. Is the bur I was reading about ?

Brendan

Sound like it might be a burr or the edge on that side might be a little lower degree and you are sherpening the metal just above the edge so the edge is not getting sharper. This can be a real pain and takes practice to understand what is going on!

I use a barbers strop with various grits of sandpaper "shoegoo'd" to some pieces of strap,not to the leather itself,and finish off with green compound on the strop.An old leather belt with a belt sander belt would do the same thing.you shouldn't have to use the sandpaper very often,just if you hit something hard,but strop regularly.hang the belt from a nail or something and the more tension you put on it the sharper your khuk will get.leaves a nice convex edge that is very tough especially at a high polish...good luck!

Please explain, is a butchers steel sufficient to do a good job of sharpening ?

I have a hard time with a steel on a convex edge,it's tricky. try just stropping(edge trailing) on leather,should align any burr you may have.

sure will,in fact you can strop on cardboard if it's all you've got,I've brought a few edges up to shaving with a paper towel roll!

Brendan :

one side of my khuks seem to have more "catch" than the other side. Is the bur I was reading about ?

Yes, the butchers steel won't remove it, but will just move it from side to side. You will need to hone it off with a stone or with a strop loaded with a buffing compound.

-Cliff

As an afterthought, I don't think these tests were silly. If they tell you something they are worthwhile.

Back