• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Silver Pumpkin "Betel Box" (Laos? Cambodia? Thailand?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up for sale is a gorgeous hand-crafted silver "betel box" from Southeast Asia--possibly Laos, Cambodia, or Thailand. This is one HIGHLY figured, exquisite, hand crafted piece with floral motifs and filigree work. The only one I've been able to find close to this on eBay is listed for over $1000 dollars from Thailand. I'm asking only SOLD shipped--a fraction of that price! Betel boxes are used in Southeast Asian cultures to hold betel nuts--a palm nut wrapped in a betel vine leaf which is chewed similar to tobacco--although it can be used to hold anything you want! Or leave it empty--it's a beautiful decorative piece!

Given the amount of hand tooling that went into this, the box is worth more than SOLD just for it's artistic value alone. However, like I said, the box is silver. Whether it's silver plate or silver alloy, I honestly don't know. What I DO know is that the box is NOT sterling silver (which is slightly over 92%). It is marked "T90" on the bottom. From what I could find on line, T90 means made from 90% silver. It certainly has the appearance of silver bit I cannot guarantee that it is since I don't have the knowledge or tools to test it. It weighs in at 20 oz. IF it's 90% silver, that's a full 18 oz! Melt value would be around $450 (figuring a CONSERVATIVE $25 per oz). Given the intrinsic beauty of this piece, though, I'd highly recommend against melting it, but to each his or her own ;o)

More pictures available upon request. Please email or PM in addition to posting here (either with "I'll take it" or any questions you might have)

If anyone has additional info they can share on this, I'm all ears :D

Paypal and PMO accepted.

P1330305.jpgP1330310.jpgP1330312.jpgP1330315.jpgP1330316.jpg

Last edited:
my wifes grandmother is a betel nut chewer (cambodian/thai) and has several of these... maybe they are not the same but i always thought they were just plain old aluminum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back