How To Simple Pocket Slips

I thought about posting this to Sheaths & Such, but all the work there is so advanced compared with this that I decided perhaps this forum is the better place, especially since the intended use is for traditional folders.

Anyway... Many years ago I made some simple pocket slips from leather scraps. One is sized for a 4" stockman and the other for my Buck 703. I've been needing some slips for smaller knives such as my swayback gent and medium stockmans. So, I went to the Michaels craft store and bought an 8.5x11" piece of soft brown leather, got out my Speedy Stitcher, and went to work. The pictures pretty much show how it's done. The stitch is very simple: push the needle through the first hole and pull out a length of thread to form the free end. Push through the next hole, form a loop, and pull the free end through the loop. Pull the loop tight and repeat. To finish off the stitch I brought both ends of the thread to the back side, tied a surgeon's knot, then melted the ends of the thread with a match. I found that putting the leather on top of a folded towel made it easier to push the needle through and eliminated any chance of stabbing myself. EDIT: With some experience I found that the soft towel combined with the soft leather resulted in my stitches "wandering around" a bit (i.e. not being straight). I switched to using a couple of layers of mat board (such as is used for framing pictures) and that has worked out much better.

(Notes: Michaels carries this leather in several colors and in both smooth and suede. The Speedy Stitcher comes with a large needle and course thread; smaller needles and thread such as I used here are available for order.)

Here's my first effort. My stitching isn't very straight but it gets the job done. I made a second one that is slightly longer for my medium stockmans, and I plan to do a third for a couple of mini trappers, and a fourth for a small mulit-tool.

38971446671_c476f05f7a_c.jpg

38084899705_55e4378893_c.jpg

24106518927_286cba533c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! Could you please speak to the dimensions of the leather you cut for the slip - how to size the slip/sheath based on the width and thickness of the knife?

Thanks!

Ya bet Ace! I had one of those Speedy Stichers too, years ago I could never get the darn thing to run. Ace is miles ahead of me on that deal.

Nice job! A Ace Rimmer . A guy can use a fork to mark out your stitching spacing. Gives a little neater appearance.

:eek:

I actually paid for lacing chisels! A fork! My mind is blown :oops::confused:

That's super clever! I do like being able to easily push the lacing chisels all the way through the leather, then just stitch it up with a needle, but I love the fork idea!!! :thumbsup:

Good show, Ace!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Its nice to be able to make simple pocket slips like that. Also thanks for the tip about Michael's carrying the leather scraps.

Nice work :thumbsup: I bought a Speedy Stitcher a couple of years back...it's still in the box :oops:

Mine must be 30 years old but it is "still in the box" too! I've used it for occasional repairs of heavy material. I have more thread that I will ever use. I'm glad to see that they are still being sold -- I've broken the occasional small needle and had to order replacements. :p

Thank you for posting this! Could you please speak to the dimensions of the leather you cut for the slip - how to size the slip/sheath based on the width and thickness of the knife?
Thanks!

I just wrapped the leather around the knife before I cut the piece out from the whole to estimate how large to cut. You can always cut a bit larger than needed and then trim down. Be sure to allow for the material that will be taken up by the stitching.

Good show, Ace!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Its nice to be able to make simple pocket slips like that. Also thanks for the tip about Michael's carrying the leather scraps.

Actually, what I bought was not one of the scrap bundles, but an 8.5x11" piece. Very nice, soft leather.

:eek:

I actually paid for lacing chisels! A fork! My mind is blown :oops::confused:

That's super clever! I do like being able to easily push the lacing chisels all the way through the leather, then just stitch it up with a needle, but I love the fork idea!!! :thumbsup:

That's another option. I do have a lacing chisel along with all the leather working tools that I inherited from my father. I did one that way years ago and it came out pretty nice.

I'd recommend a guy make a paper pattern first for sizing. Then cut leather. Not so much to save leather but more for repeatability. I bet most folks here could use more than one slip the same size.

Nice job

I have always struggled to hand stitch soft leather like you are using and I think a machine really is the easiest and best option for truly professional results .
Stiffer leather that is more commonly used in sheaths etc is a lot easier to get consistant - even - straight stitches when stitching by hand .
Its great fun to make your own leather work and I hope you continue .

Ken

Back