Simple sturdy Plier multitool for cheap?

Macchina

Gold Member
I own 3 Leathermans and a Swisstool but between my fishing vest, car kit, cabin, and one of them being a Skeletool I find I could one more to keep in my AR kit. I only use multitools when I have them.

A lot of my Leathermans are (were) older and had simple full-length tools and couple be picked up for relatively cheaply. Looking at the current inexpensive Leathermans like the Sidekick the file and other tools are all stubby. Any decent Plier multitools out there outside of Leatherman and Victorinox that are durable with a full length file, blade, and saw?

The gerber suspension is a decent budget multi-tool. It's going to flex more than a skeletool and weigh a whole lot more but it packs a lot into one package that works pretty decent. I leave my gerber in the garage near my bike work stand and keep the skeletool in my travel bag (I also have a bag with me, like a really big man purse). I think it has everything you're looking for but a file.

Don't get me wrong, it's not up to the stiffness of a leatherman, IMO, but the tools are at least as rigid as those found on a SAK and you can grab something fairly decent with minimal handle flex and I don't think it's just going to fall apart on you even if you use it a bunch. I wouldn't go after rusty bolts and such with it but normally torqued items, it has done just fine for me.

Some of the Gerber 600 series have the tools you want, also the Gerber Diesel, and they are adequate tools. The SOG powerlock is another good option. But you have to open the pliers to get to the tools, something you don't have to do with Swisstool and some of the tools on the Wave/Surge/Charge Leathermans. Unless you want to try something different, why not just get another older Leatherman or Swisstool?

Although it doesn't have a saw, my first MT was a Sog Paratool. No matter how many MT's I get and prefer, I still love that sucker. It folds down into a nice size and weight package and has a nice compliment of tools. It might be something to consider if you want to try something different. One downside is that the tools are on the inside. I beat on that MT enough as a kid to consider it a trusted MT.

Although I have more expensive leatherman, I always come back to the Juice S2 for my all around favorite. I even switched my emergency bag MT to a Juice CS4 in place of my Charge Ti. One downside to the Juice is that the blade, although on the outside, is not a one hand opener (and it's a slip joint).

I'll add, that I have a Skeletool I picked up on the cheap from HD. I just can't get into carrying it because of the numerous tools the Juice line has, and the S2 is even lighter. The CS4 is about the same weight as the Skeletool, but I don't need the extra tools, weight, and bulk, for everyday carry... which I offset with a dedicated knife.

I ended up finding a nearly new Gerber MT600 for $20. While no Swisstool it is a much better multitool than I remember it being (my Dad had one for years when I was a kid). I think it'll work great my needs. The problem is this search tickled my multitool buying bone again... Not good ;)

I will say, it makes no sense to me why so many multitools have their tools on the inside of the handles when closed. They're harder to get to and hurt when you use the tool. The Gerber is the first multitool with tools on the inside that makes sense (it doesn't fold so your hands don't squeeze the tools).

Back