since this is about forging with Titanium heres my question

So im playing to have a Custom Wariha Tetsu Katana made and i want to use Titanium as the body of the sword for shock absorbing i was looking at Titanium Gold Alloy what would you recommend i use if its Titanium or another material

So im playing to have a Custom Wariha Tetsu Katana made and i want to use Titanium as the body of the sword for shock absorbing i was looking at Titanium Gold Alloy what would you recommend i use if its Titanium or another material

If you're planning to use a titanium alloy as the body of the sword (don't use Titanium Pure imo) then the edge material should also be a titanium-based alloy. The infamous experimental titanium-gold alloy used a high percentage of gold, around 25% iirc, which would be fine if you have a lot of money. However I concluded that the titanium-gold "researchers" pretty much made a normal high-beta titanium alloy using gold as the beta stabilizing element and probably had a lot of atmospheric contamination in the sample to boot, because they are fairly clueless, which yielded a very hard and "strong" ti alloy that would be brittle and break as a thin sword. It was trumpeted as some sort of huge breakthrough when it was just a normal high beta metastable ti alloy that happened to use gold instead of, say, vanadium. If you're making your own custom alloy, I'd recommend thinking about niobium, copper, tungsten, and iron.

Back