Sirupati and BAS:some observations

I've lucky enough to grab 2 PGAs:an 18" Sirupati by Sher and a BAS by Bura.When I first came across the HI site and started looking at the different styles I decided the first khuk was going to be either an 18" or 20" Sirupati.I also knew I'd want a BAS(my list got pretty long before I bought anything...).I've had the Siru about 5 weeks and the BAS a week.
You see alot on this forum about the khuk "teaching how use them". What surprized me was how fast the Sirupati taught me.We,in effect, quickly.When I got the BAS it felt,well, different.But within a few days it taught me too.

Carry: I have found the Siru is forme a crossdraw khuk.I don't have any problem drawing it strong side but the long handle bumps my elbow when I have it where I want a knife on my strongside.Crossdraw,pulled just a little to the front,it rides perfectly. In fact,a few days after it came, I was in the woods,researching, when I was snorted and stamped at.I'd come up on a buck and some does who took off,but I'd automatically placed my hand on the Siru,which decided me on its carry right then. The BAS,on the other hand, seems to a strongside fellow. The shorter handle plus the noticeably longer bet loops on the frog account for this;it sits right where my hand drops. The Siru rides a lot higher due to a shorter loop. BTW,the double loops of the BAS frog allow you to straddle a belt loop if neew be,the way some IWB holsters do.
Handling: the Siru,at 22 oz.,felt like an extension of my hand when I first got it and allowed me to pivot it in a snap cut easily.The BAS,at 23 oz., gave a sense of compact power,sort of like a large bore snubby revolver would.After a month with the Siru ti was ,well different. I soon found that chopping with required more of a wrist pivot due to the shorter handle.
Yesterday was cleanup and mowing day,and I put both to use and came to some conclusions. I think the BAS was designed to be,and is, more of a utility khuk than the Siru. It is thicker than the Siru and I would feel more comfortable prying with it if I had to. I took it with me to work the other when bad,i.e.,tornado,weather was expected.It is that kind of khuk.On the other hand the Sirupati excells at machete type woodswork.I do think I was getting more cut per chop due to the longer length and the longer length of time I've had it.It will be a case of deciding what the job is as to which I grab.
In summation, I do think the Sirupati is my favorite but it is by a small margin. I do know that I will in the future be getting more of the Siru's siblings,20,15,12 inchers for sure,and probably a spare BAS but,my, the list keeps getting longer and longer.
Hope all have a good week.

WoodOwl

Nice field report WoodOwl:) I still want to get and 18" Sirupati at some point, They sound like great blades.

There is one thing I find worrisome in you post however,

I was in the woods,researching

Um, don't you mean you were "exploring your new khuks potential" or "breaking in a new khukuri" or, or, ANYTHING ELSE besides "research":barf: :p :D

Have we lost a fellow forumite to the "Duck side" :eek:

WoodOwl, don't send any khuks to Florida, no matter what he promises!! Its all lies, LIES I TELL YOU, LIES:mad: HEE:p :D

If you find yourself wavering just send ME the 18" Sirupati for safe keeping. I'll send it back to you when you're "all better"(of course only I, as a true saint, will know when that is;) :D )

I seemed to have run into the same situation with the 18" Siru. I didn't have to make but a swing or two and could feel that adjustment was needed asap. Just blade vibrations I quess but the Khuk let me know I was doing things wrong. I have used it enough now that it almost feels like it is part of my arm when limb trimming or lopping branches.
The only thing that wold make a better Khuk to me right now might be a couple more inches.;) :D :D

From the number of browsers on the forum this day, it doesn't look like you lack for moral support.:D :D

"the duck side",huh?No,Rob, even though I do live in the Mississippi flyway,I was think of establishing the MKWS(Migratory Khukuri Way Station).That way khuks could visit the Sunny South without worrying about salt air:D .Your Malla would be most welcome.:cool:

WoodOwl

Back