Sister in NYC needs sailing knife. 2 part question: laws and knife choices

I haven't been active around here for awhile, last I was the NYPD was going ham on pretty much any pocket knife you could imagine. Wondering if there's any update to that. Also if I can order it straight to her in NYC, or if I need to order it here then ship it?

Second: she's doing some sailing on some historical ships through a museum program there. She asked for knife recommendations because I have way too many knives. I'm mainly a spyderco guy, so the Salt series makes sense. Just thought I'd ask for opinions on the variations, plain edge vs serrated, hawkbill vs normal, size, etc...

As you mentioned I would look into the Spyderco Salt series. For what I’ve read people tend to prefer the serrated models over the plain edge ones.

Also you may want to look at Boye Boats Knives. These are very high quality and Boye has been around for a long time. The folding models come with a marlin spike which she may find useful.

As far as NYC is concerned, you should just order directly from the manufacturer or a place like knifeworks.com that ship to NYC.

It’s not illegal to own or possess a knife and if she just keeps it in her pocket and NOT clipped on she will be fine.

Myerchin has several offerings for rigging knives. I have owned several, quite good. Also Camilus has one that I also own and its quite good as well.

I haven't been active around here for awhile, last I was the NYPD was going ham on pretty much any pocket knife you could imagine. Wondering if there's any update to that. Also if I can order it straight to her in NYC, or if I need to order it here then ship it?

Second: she's doing some sailing on some historical ships through a museum program there. She asked for knife recommendations because I have way too many knives. I'm mainly a spyderco guy, so the Salt series makes sense. Just thought I'd ask for opinions on the variations, plain edge vs serrated, hawkbill vs normal, size, etc...

How big of a ship?

For a decent budget option there is always the Rough Rider sailors knife.

I have a feeling you want to splurge abit though. The Boye Boat Knife would be the most expensive and IMHO most awesome.

Somewhere in between those two knives is probably the knife you want. I would recommend a salt series and a separate marlin spike.

Rough Rider Marlin Spike.
3 3/4 or 4 inch sheepsfoot blade for cutting, and a Marlin Spike for untying knots or to use in splicing line.
It also has a bail so you can attach it to a lanyard (not a fob, there is a difference) so she does not have to worry about it going overboard, or falling to the deck and possibly killing or injuring someone if she is working up one of the masts, and drops it.

I really like mine. The Marlin Spike is big enough to actually use, and the blade takes and holds a sharp edge, and is long enough to cut a line 3/4 inch or smaller in one go.

a knife for sailing? I really like the Boye folding knife. Well made and cuts forever. Everything the folder is made of is rust proof.
When I am out on the water, I make a paracord necklace(nice and cheap), and clip the folder to it with the pocket clip. Super quick and easy to take off, cut, and put back. Takes seconds.
The marlin spike on it is very tough and very useful!!

Yes a traditional sailors or rigging knife is what you need ! I have some oldies and they still work well for rigging and other jobs. Learn how to splice rope with it ! And send some photos of the ships please!

Victorinox makes two models, the Helmsman and Skipper, that include a nice marlin spike, shackle wrench and a few other tools. They go for around $50-70. Besides being quality tools, the steel used by Victorinox is pretty rust resistant and being SAKs, they won't raise any eyebrows.

Another option is to get her a Spyderco from the Salt series and a separate marlin spike. A Salt 2 is a great EDC knife, on or off a boat. She might end up getting a lot of use out of it on land as well.

If you don't mind where it's made in,
The A.G. Russell Sea Skorpion isn't too bad a choice.
agfr-c5ss.jpg

https://agrussell.com/about/faq#country

Boye boat knife is the one most recommended by sailors that can afford them. David Boye comes from a family that worked on the water and his boat knives are his passion. They are a design that's evolved over about 25 years. I have 3 of his knives and love 'em. The lockback is one of the best knife designs I own.

Myerchin or Boye. Spyderco salt. I race sailboats so yeah, she would need/like a marlin spike and a keyhole to loosen a shackle.

nyc resident here, if you're really worried about legality of carrying, go for a slipjoint (doesn't lock). otherwise, just make sure the design is non-threatening, probably steer away from flippers or flickable knives. if she can back up that she's going sailing, NYPD will probably not give her much trouble

Victorinox makes two models, the Helmsman and Skipper, that include a nice marlin spike, shackle wrench and a few other tools. They go for around $50-70. Besides being quality tools, the steel used by Victorinox is pretty rust resistant and being SAKs, they won't raise any eyebrows.
This would be my recommendation as well. The Vics are very useful. Their fine serrated blades are very sharp. Another option is simply a One Handed Trekker with the partially serrated blade.

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit, but for a boat knife, IMO, the David Boye boat knife with marlin spike sounds excellent. Although admittedly, I've yet to own one. One question I have is, I think I read somewhere in the past that Boye's dendritic cobalt blade is essentially rust-proof, takes and holds an edge for a long time, yet is easy to resharpen. But I've also read it can be a bit 'brittle'. For those who own one, is that true? Otherwise, Boye's knife seems almost perfect.

Jim

I don't own a cobalt Boye blade. My dendritic steel does not chip or behave as if its brittle. I did drop a Boye Basic about 4' and it landed edge on, to a steel lip at 90 degree to the floor. It chipped, but a regular 440c blade would have been damaged as well, probably severely dented as opposed to chip. David Boye reground the edge for free. I probably lost 2mm of edge.

Call him up and ask questions. I've gotten both him and his wife in the past. Their straight up honest folk.

I have the Spyderco Pacific Salt and I do like the knife. Honestly my favorite water knife is my Native 5 Lightweight in S35VN. I have taken it swimming in the Atlantic Ocean probably 175 times. I would call all of the hardware on the knife rust proof. After hours of saltwater snorkeling, the S35VN (my personal favorite steel) will only develop a few rust dots that have all easily rubbed off without any hint of scarring.

if you like Spyderco the Tusk seems like a real nice option.
Otherwise, I also recommend a Salt and I am sure they make very nice and appreciated gifts

oWIiK5b.jpg

Back