Six words I wish I'd said. Primarily for old vets but anybody is welcome to read.

Yesterday I had to go to the VA hospital for my 6 month checkup. Did OK.

When I was walking in I saw the local American Legion van that transports old vets unable to drive from home to hospital and back. Painted on the back doors of the van were six words that I thought said it all and I wished I had been the guy to think them up. Here are the words:

ALL GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL.

I thought that said it as well as it could be said in six words.

Anybody ever see this before?

That's why, regardless of your opinions on war, and regardless of what you think about a particular war, all vets deserve our respect. They earned it, and at high cost.

The first time I saw those words written was on a pamphlet from the DAV. The last three words just about tore me up. It was fresh in my mine when the Miniature Vietnam Wall came to Austin and I made the trip. It took me a while to get hold of myself so I could make the trip back to the house.
You see, the 58,000 name that are on that wall don't tell the whole story. That number does not incllude all the ones that died in hospitals in Japan, Okinawa, the Phillipines, Guam, and several other out of country hospitals that so many wounded were sent to.

One of the reasons I hate going to the VA hospital is because I see many old vets who gave so much (arms, legs, minds) and now they are all but forgotten. I helped one old WWII vet and his wife get his wheelchair loaded into their truck yesterday. They couldn't get it done by themselves. It's depressing as hell.

If you want a good cry sit in on a group session with some old Nam vets overloaded with PTSD.

Add to that anyone who's lived by the Coast Guard saying "You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

To those who didn't come back.
To those who still are trying to make it back.
To those who made it back with help and then went on to help others.

And for me, especially to those vets who helped restore me from the devastation of what I saw in my work in child abuse. I'm alive because of them.

I find it impossible to forget the mess so many were in. At the same time I don't ever want to forget those I knew that that gave the rest of us every thing they could. I wish I could honor them beyond the grave.

Great words!

Please join the VFW or American Legion if you are not already a member. Both are doing their best to insure vets are not forgotten.

Thank you to all you vets who served our Country, as well as those currently fighting for us!

POW/MIA
You are not forgotten!

I remember a line from the Bridges at Toko Ri. After Brubaker crashes and is killed in North Korea the skipper of the carrier is reflecting on the bravery, selflessness, and devotion to duty and country of the men.

"Where do these men come from?" He asks himself in amazement.

If I were on the bridge I'd answer, "Skipper, they come from America."

I was in the VA hospital for an old leg injury. The fellow behind me in number, [vets know about standing in line waiting your turn] was in a wheel chair, no hands or legs below the knee.

My turn came, I told the Doc take him, I'm fine. I limped to my car with tears in my eyes.
Sam:(

At the Reno VA hospital we have an old WWI vet about 100 years old who comes in from time to time, a black fellow with white hair -- walks with two canes. He goes to the head of the line with no complaints from anybody.

I'm not an old Vet, but when I go to the VA for my annual check ups( I've got a service connected injury) I always try to let the older folks go ahead of me when ever I can. They paid their dues waaay before my generation did and I just feel they've earned the right not to have to stand there any longer than they have to.

I've visited two vet hospitals. Can't say I enjoyed it much. Very depressing. The men there deserve much better treatment. It was sickening what little our government is doing for them.

Has anyone seen the series "Band of Brothers" on HBO? Very emotional for me. If not for those men and their sacrifices, where would we be today?

Semp --

Those living in times of peace should honor the sacrifices of those who secured that peace with their lives. Pity there aren't more ex-servicemen and women in politics - but I guess people of honor and integrity tend to avoid politics like the plague...

Andrew Limsk

The words you are talking about are from the song by the same name that was written and sung by a country artist named [billy ray cyrus] it was his tribut to all the men and women who fought to keep our countrys free.

Lee Brooks
Knifemaker
BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@hotmail.com

Thanks. I give him credit for coming up with 6 words that say it all. Whatever happened to that guy anyway. He came like a tornado and left like one.

Hello Bill glad i could help the reason he stoped singing was that not to many ppl bought his albums so he went into acting instead and seems to be doing pretty good for himself.

Lee Brooks
Knifemaker
BROOKSKNIVES.canada

brooksknives@hotmail.com

Back