Sk-4.7!!!

P1040975.JPG

It looks about a half inch shorter to the 5.1 in this picture.

Also, if I do the math right from the S!K web site, technical specs for each knife, the handle on the 5.1 is ~5.5" and ~5" on the 4.7 (subtracting blade length from overall length).

chiral, would you please share what size gloves you wear? I'm very curious how the '4.7 relates to the '5.1, is the '4.7 handle noticeably shorter?

My apologies for taking so long to get to this.
I wear 7-7.5 gloves = 'Medium'. The 4.7 blade is ~1" shorter than the 5.1 from scales to tip (4.75" vs 5.75"), and the handle (including the 1/8" extended pommel) is ~4.92" vs 5.18" on the 5.1... so ~1/4" shorter. Noticeable? Yes, I think so, but the old-spec GSO-5.1 handle was still shorter (~4.85"). I MUCH prefer this handle to the old-spec 5.1, and the old-spec 4.1 handle doesn't even compare. For the size of the 4.7 blade, the new-spec 5.1 handle would be too long, I think... but I don't have monster hands like some folk here ;)

I'm really liking this knife. It's 9.55 oz (12.9 with sheath) and won't have the reach or the light-chopping ability of the 5.1, and it might still be a bit large for most hunting around here, but it's alot more portable - I'll take some carry-pics when I write up a review of it. I am now very curious if I'll actually prefer this to the new 4.1, I definitely prefer it to the old 4.1 based on the handle alone.

Last edited:
Chiral, from the numbers there isn't that much difference between the 4.7 and the new 4.1. The 4.1 is a little smaller in all dimensions and will probably suit folks that don't need a large handle just fine. I'm looking forward to a direct comparison. Thanks!

I wear 7-7.5 gloves = 'Medium'. The 4.7 blade is ~1" shorter than the 5.1 from scales to tip (4.75" vs 5.75"), and the handle (including the 1/8" extended pommel) is ~4.92" vs 5.18" on the 5.1... so ~1/4" shorter. Noticeable? Yes, I think so, but the old-spec GSO-5.1 handle was still shorter (~4.85"). I MUCH prefer this handle to the old-spec 5.1, and the old-spec 4.1 handle doesn't even compare. For the size of the 4.7 blade, the new-spec 5.1 handle would be too long, I think... but I don't have monster hands like some folk here ;)

I'm really liking this knife. It's 9.55 oz (12.9 with sheath) and won't have the reach or the light-chopping ability of the 5.1, and it might still be a bit large for most hunting around here, but it's alot more portable - I'll take some carry-pics when I write up a review of it. I am now very curious if I'll actually prefer this to the new 4.1, I definitely prefer it to the old 4.1 based on the handle alone.

Nice little write up! Based on your pictures and thoughts I wonder if the 4.7 will also become my preferred knife over the 4.1. How is the new 4.7 SK to sharpen compared to 1095, 01, etc. and 3v? I'd also love to know how it stands up to (realistic - not brick breaking) hard working and when you have to sharpen it.

It looks about a half inch shorter to the 5.1 in this picture.

Also, if I do the math right from the S!K web site, technical specs for each knife, the handle on the 5.1 is ~5.5" and ~5" on the 4.7 (subtracting blade length from overall length).

Is the old spec' knife in this picture (on the left) a GSO-4.1 or GSO-5?

Thanks for the info.

Nice little write up! Based on your pictures and thoughts I wonder if the 4.7 will also become my preferred knife over the 4.1. How is the new 4.7 SK to sharpen compared to 1095, 01, etc. and 3v? I'd also love to know how it stands up to (realistic - not brick breaking) hard working and when you have to sharpen it.

I'm really trying to carve out time in my work-schedule to test them all against the S!K fairly, including sharpening, and publish something at least along the lines of my SK-4 video.

Is the old spec' knife in this picture (on the left) a GSO-4.1 or GSO-5?
Looks like the 4.1 the 5 has a wider blade and about the same length as the 4.7

That's my SK-4, same specs as the 4.1, although I modded the end of the handle slightly (no more flaring corners)

Back