Sky-high MSRP? Haven't we moved past this?

For americanbuyers msrp doesnt do anything. Youre shops make there own prices so there is allways a big discount in to play. Here in europe on the other hand the msrp is pure horror !!! As lang as brands keep setting up these msrp demons prices here are going to be skyhigh... Believe me there are thousands of spydercofans here that will never ever see a knife like the nirvana because you got to be stinking rich to afford one ... In europa the importers ask almost 90% of msrp to the selling websites then those want to make profit as well... A knife like the nirvana will easely be made a 750 euro knife at 9 of the 10 websites. Now that is the only thing i can say that is not positive about spydercos... There costing a fortune down here and there is not one sign that that is ever going to happen. [emoji20] if spyderco Would only open something here in europe then msrp coule remain the same but they would cut out those importers wich would make a real big differance.

I agree with Blackhawk1100! The pricing on high end Spyderco's in Europe is out of line.

An example with two knives I own and love: the Spyderco Slysz Bowie with MSRP 499,95 dollar can be found for 299,95 dollar in the USA. In Belgium we pay 549,95 euro! The Sebenza 25 costs 445 dollar in the USA and 525 euro in Belgium!

Bottom line: the Slysz Bowie is a real bargain compared to the Sebenza 25 in the USA, not so in Europe.

I honestly believe Spyderco sales would increase significantly in Europe if they manage to keep the selling price in line with the USA selling price.

Why does it matter if dealers don't sell at or near MSRP?
Exactly. Not to mention that lowering the MSRP would probably drive the few independent brick and mortar dealers who can't survive on the 5% to 10% markup most internet merchants consider sufficient. Heck, there's even at least one excellent B&M dealer in PA with an internet presence who charges full MSRP. Perhaps I'm too just stupid to know and better, but I've bought a few from them, and a few from SFO as well, and never felt I was being ripped off. Just the opposite, in fact. I knew I was "late to the party" and felt I was lucky they had something I wanted that all the discounters were already out of.

It may be the same concept as say a furniture store that marks up the prices only to have a 50% off sale later.
Not really. As I mentioned, there's at least one very reputable US dealer who carries a full line of Spyderco knives and sells all of them at full MSRP. IMHO, it's more a question of the internet perverting the normal supply chain by severely reducing "overhead", or removing it from the equation entirely.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I preordered mine at $250, and MSRP is $375. I guess it pays to check around.
I think you have your numbers mixed up. MSRP is $719.95. That won't be different anywhere, or shouldn't be anyway. So the typically best off MSRP puts the selling just under $400.

I also like their structure. It does a few things. It Gives the customer some transparency to understand what to reasonably expect with a little math. It ensures that Spyderco will not compete with their dealers which is a smart move IMO. MSRP is very much a relevant #, maybe the OP would be happy if it had a different name. I don't mean to sound like a wise guy, but if Spyderco called it a factory or SFO price, then let dealers do their thing it would work the same with a more accurate label.

Less restriction is good. I have a suspicion Spyderco is limiting the % off MSRP though. My favorite dealer has had Spyderco's "on sale" all year. The only reason I think they do that is to get around some restriction. Don't know, don't really care much, but it gives some insight into some strategy that companies are deeming necessary for business.

Last edited:
I too believe the European market is run amuck with overpricing as well. It might be more of a tax thing though. I'm in the US, so what do in know.

I like the way Spyderco handles its MSRP. It leaves a lot of room for retailers to adjust selling price. You CAN actually shop around and find a "better deal" on a particular Spydie...try that with Benchmade!

That's interesting, I preordered mine at $250, and MSRP is $375. I guess it pays to check around.

I'd like to know where you found a Nirvana for $250...I'm all in at that price.

I have established the Consumer's Suggested Retail Price system, or "CSRP", which fixes my suggested street price at well below market value. For example, a new Delica CSRP's at $32. I suggest that retailers offer the Delica at this price. They then add about $28 to the CSRP to establish the retail price. It is a system that has worked well in the industry for several years.

MSRP is a psychological ploy. When you buy that $200 valued item for $400 then see it for $700 on the makers MSRP list you feel like you got over.

Hi Kidcongo,

MSRP represents the starting point on pricing and discounts. Dealers and distributors want that figure published. It's kind of a mark from which all other figures work from.

sal

True enough. It is like the sticker on a new car, and rarely somebody actually pays the sticker, or MSRP price.

I too believe the European market is run amuck with overpricing as well. It might be more of a tax thing though. I'm in the US, so what do in know.
I think it's lack of competition. In the UK at least there's only one Spyderco importer.

Last edited:
Surfingringo has a very good point. I've seen online stores in the past year sell Spydercos at prices so near dealer I've been surprised they made any profit at all, but they don't have the same expenses as traditional stores.

I dunno, can anyone level a reasonable argument why the MSRPs on Spydercos can't be closer to the actual street price? I just feel the world has moved past this ploy. If I'm missing something, please school me in my ignorance. It just seems dumb to me, but maybe I'm a doof. Clearly the sellers are still making a profit at selling price, and have overhead costs in their selling price, so if the MSRP represents another 100% profit on top of that, it gets kinda silly.

To me, the MSRP, should be what it is supposed to be: a "suggested retail price" that might be shaved by $20 or something if someone wants to move product. As it stands, if you pay the MSRP, your getting ripped off, and I don't feel that's right.

Anyways......no disrespect to Spyderco intended, but am I the only one who thinks this system outdated?

The only time most people will pay MSRP is when looking for an old sprint or hard to find discontinued model at BBS or Countryknives or wherever it may be. Nobody (that I know of) pay MSRP for production pieces of even highly desired sprints.

What would be worth complaining about is if Spyderco went with a MAP pricing for its retailers like Benchmade did. Then you'd see prices rise substantially pretty much everywhere. I know ALOT of BM collectors were extremely pissed when they transitioned to it and won't buy any new models because of it.

I don't see a problem here at all :confused:

Most all companies sell below MSRP, and I'm not just talking about knives.
I guess if someone really had a problem with it they could always buy Benchmade and pay full MSRP.

"I don't like MSRP and want Spyderco to change it"

Before the internet was available to connect us with dealers around the country/world we all mostly paid MSRP and were lucky to do that when there were no nearby dealers. I used to have to wait until every 3rd month when the gun and knife show came to town.

We are getting spoiled I guess.

Joe

I know ALOT of BM collectors were extremely pissed when they transitioned to it and won't buy any new models because of it.

I haven't bought one since. :)

It also encourages buyers to go to dealers rather than the manufacturer. This way the manufacturer isnt competing with dealers.

This is the reason often given by Manufacturers. Dealers cannot afford to compete against Manufacturers. So manufacturers in exchange for steady volume sales will forgo competing with dealers by selling @ inflated MSRP prices.

I don't see a problem here at all :confused:

When you're importing them, and have tariffs and other taxes passed on to you based on the knife being worth 300 USD rather than 150.

The first two posters gave examples of what Spydercos cost here in Europe. A Benchmade Griptilian, on the other hand, is €104.95 at <big online retailer in Europe>, all taxes included, and $97.75 on <big online retailer in the U.S.>, before taxes.

It hurts when it's cheaper to buy a Spyderco from the U.S. and pay international shipping + 50% customs fees than to buy it locally.

Back