[Slipjoint] Question about Doctor's pattern...

Hello! Until very recently I saw stockmans and other slipjoints as dumb little knives. All of the pics in the mags must have been adding up in my head or something, because all of a sudden I started wanting a stockman!

Well, we can talk about those some other time. I must confess that my first slipjoint love is the Doctor's knife pattern. I don't have any, but i know I want to collect some in the future. So, I was wondering two things.

1) Is the spatula blade sharpened at all?

2) Who are the Doctor's pattern blade makers?

I know nothing about who makes these knives, except that CASE makes a yellow delrin handled one. But I'm not usre if it has a spatula blade. I want to make a list for future reference. THANKS!

Case makes single-blade doctor's knives with a number of different handles, including several with bone. I'm not sure if they make the one with the spatula. I have seen some very nice Schatt & Morgan doctor's knives in a variety of handle materials.

No the spatula is not sharpend. It is
meant for counting pills and scouping
powders. I dont't think the collectors
Dr. Knives will have one anyway. Most of
the manufactures only make the single blade
pattern these days (Case, Remington,
Henckels, Kissing Crane)
You might find some 2 blade ones
made by the German makers.

Case sells single blade in many diff.
bone scales. Remington has several
choices also.

-Rebus

They call those "Doctor" patterns because of Dr. Snow from Columbia, as well as the medicine you snort on the end of those funny looking spatulas.

Thanks for the info! I assumed the spatula models were the more popular ones. Cool!

Hmm... snorting medicine off of the spatula? Weird. I won't be doing that, but thanks for the history of this neat pattern.

Hey Cray, I have one of the yellow handled Doc knives from Case that Gus sent me back around Thanksgiving. It is single bladed. Just an incredibly cool little knife that is fun to carry.

I dont know if Case makes a 2 blade, I thought they did, but really dont remember.

AG Russell had some in a catalog not to long ago with the spatula. Sorry, I dont remember the brand, but I think it was one of the german brands....ya might shoot him an email.

Case makes a 6285 two blade Doctor.Winchester,Schatt& Morgan,Bulldog,Hen & Rooster and Ka-Bar also make two blade doctor.I think there are others but it is too early in the am to think straight.:)
BTW I do not collect spatula doctor patterns.

Queen makes Doctor's patterns with spatulas and their Schatt & Morgan versions come with two blades, a large and small spearpoint. Winchester makes some great doctor's knives in bone and stage. Finally, if you want to spend big bucks, check out Eugene Shadley and Bill Ruple customs.

thanks everyone for the names of manufacturers, custom makers and the links. I spent some time looking at pics from the liinks provided yesterday, and I really did have fun!

Richard: That yellow case is the first one I saw in a magazine, which made me fall in love with the pattern. One of those will deffinitely have to be in my collection, whenever I start it! The yellow I find to be very attractive. Hmm, maybe it is just because I am Crayola, and liek colors or something! I'll catch you in chat Richard so we can talk about Doc knives.

Yellow handled ones huh :). I wonder if I still have Cray's addy?

Nifrand's list is great. Add Case Classics (both pen and Spatula) and some issues by A.G.Russell (they look like Queen too, but I am not sure).

Case is currently making some with two blades. They just put out a limited 3 knife set with a knife of each configuration (one blade, two blade, blade and spatula) and I think there is a current "Case Select" out there with two blades. Otherwise the last Case two blade 6285's that I know of were made in 1989 in Germany. they came in Pearl, Goldstone, tortise shell (imt.), and white. They all had short secondayr pen blades.

Hi,

Here's a pic of a Doctor's knife I found really nice. Something about the wide spatula I really like. Otherwise it is a bit to light of a pattern for me, classy though.

www.omgknives.com/OK7405.jpg :). That site also has a nice collection of Slip Joint's to look at.

:D.

Thanks nifrand! You saved me a bunch of time with those pics. I figured if there was one other person I knew besides me who picked up that 2001 set it had to be you :D.

AGRussell carries the doctor's knife with a pen blade and spatula. Their info said old time docs used the square butt end to crush pills and the spatula to dole out powder portions or count pills. I use mine for PB and J ;)

I agree with Crayola and the Bastid that the doctor's knife is one of the coolest ever os the slipjoint designs. I have lusted after these for quite a while. But upon actually handling a couple of Cases at a show last summer I was disappointed to find that they were so large. Does anyone make a smaller version?

Mr Atwood: Schatt @ Morgan and Winchester both have knives that are smaller than the Case 6185.I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow.
Doctor Patterns Rule:) :) :)

Couple of Winchesters and a couple Schatt & Morgans
Case at bottom

Back