SLIPJOINT question

If we all get together to discuss slipjoints with natural handle materials, does that make it a STAG party? ;)

I'll try again.

LOL.

If someone did put a clip on a slipjoint, I might have to get violently ill :D

This thread needs some pics.
Here are some Doctor patterns.

Top to bottom:
Bailey Bradshaw
Joel Chamblin
Gene Shadley
Richard Rogers
Bill Rupel

Attachments

• customdrit.jpg
    customdrit.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,549
A small coke bottle in black lip pearl by Joel Chamblin that I stole from Gus :D.

Attachments

• blackpearl.jpg
    blackpearl.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 326
While he had the safe open I swiped this one too.
A Wharncliff whittler by Richard Rogers.

:D

Attachments

• richard-wht.jpg
    richard-wht.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5,594
Here is the same knife showing the split backspring.

Notice how the middle divider tapers to a thin point. This allows the main Wharncliff blade to be supported by two springs at the left end and the small blades to be each be supported by the same springs.

Attachments

• rrwhtspine.jpg
    rrwhtspine.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 457
You lucky Bastid!
That is one awesome beautiful knife!
After seeing that, I just had to get out my slip-joints and play with them alittle (although they're MUCH more humble than yours).

Allen.

I'm not much on slipjoints but when I seen this wharnie trapper by Tony Huffman I could hear the voice of Bastid say "buy it, buy it". So I did. :D

Gus, Bastid, Samhell,

Those are all very nice. Care to tell us the steel used in them?

I like the backside shot of the whittler. One of the first things I do when I get a whittler is turn it over to look at the fit and finish and wedge along the back. Those are nickel/silver liners as well?

thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Except for the Bradshaw Doctor's knife the blade steel on mine is ATS-34. On Bailey's knife the knife blade is CPM3V (If I am not mistaken) and the spatula blade is forged 52100. (I will have to check when I get home).

On the whittler, the frame and liners are 416-stainless. Richard usually makes the outside liners integral with the bolsters on his slipjoints and that is the case on this whittler and the Doctor's knife in carved pearl in the first picture.

Speaking of Congress patterns, here is a true story.
Last summer I dropped in at a yard sale in my neighborhood.
Sitting on a table in the back were two Case XX (40's era) knives.
A redbone congress and a stag canoe. Both in dead mint condition. (and I do not mean "cleaned to mint" which is a joke as far as I am concerned.)

Total cost $7.00.

If I went out looking to buy these puppies we are talking in the area of 1k.

The trapper's blades are ATS-34, the bolster are 416 stainless and IIRC the liners are 410 stainless.

Hey Gus and Samhell, thanks for the info about the knives in your pics.

Gus, your story about the congress knive should be on the "Antique Roadshow." I've wondered about the "cleaned to mint" description, and also "cleaned by a professional." My understanding from reading BRL's book is that they shouldn't be cleaned that much.

I don't want to get off topic from slipjoints. Gus, do you have photos of the congress knives? Anyone else have some vintage slipjoint pics. Most of my stuff is new, but I do have a pre-
WWI Henckels dogleg and an older Sheffield whittler. I have to figure out how to post them.

Mike

samhell and Bastid, those are SCHAWEEEEEET!
Can't someone please pose some P J Tomes pix?
Please
Lenny

Back