Slipjoint surprise

fasteddie

Gold Member
Had lunch today with Jerry Halfrich. Said he was going to be passing thru Austin and had a new knife to show me. I jumped at the chance. Met at Rudy's for bbq and he had his version of a single blade sowbelly slipjoint to show me. I was blown away by it, and when I couldn't talk him out of the one he had, I ordered one on the spot. Thought you might enjoy seeing it. Its a modern rendition of a sowbelly shape. Its about 4-1/8 closed, and when closed, the back square of the knife sits down in the handle instead of above the handle like on most slipjoints, so there is nothing to snag or wear out your pocket. He told me he'd make sure I had one to take to Blade, so if you want to see it in person, just buy me a beer.

Attachments

• halfrich_sowbelly1.jpg
    halfrich_sowbelly1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 187
Here's the sowbelly next to my 3.5 single clip trapper.

Attachments

• halfrich_sowbelly2.jpg
    halfrich_sowbelly2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 307
Here's Jerry with my 3.5 clip trapper and the new sowbelly.

Attachments

• halfrich.jpg
    halfrich.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 96
Good stuff, Eddie. What's the steel he used for the proto?

I had been thinking on a similar design actually only mine was going to be a barehead, striaghter blade ect.. Very nice looking knife. I like to bolsterless look with the canvas micarta.

Good stuff, Eddie. What's the steel he used for the proto?

I think its AEBL. I'm not that familiar with it, but Jerry likes it a lot. Think he said that Devin Thomas turned him onto it. Says it has a very fine grain structure, good edge holding, and takes a good handrubbed finish. I personally haven't had the chance to try that steel out.

Very nice, Ed.
I have been admiring Mr. Halfrich's work on his website. His LB-5 really rings my bell. His sowbelly interpretation is great, and I like the way the ricasso corner is recessed into the blade chamber when closed. Thanks for sharing the pix. :thumbup:

-Ford

FastEddie, I would like to buy you a beer or beer's so I can check out Jerry's Sowbelly. I will be at the Blade Show on Friday and Saturday. thanks Larry

Don't forget to bring the Mini Trapper. I would like to check it out. Larry

the back square of the knife sits down in the handle instead of above the handle like on most slipjoints

Thats what used to be called a sunk joint. Many older higher end knives were made this way. The Robeson Pocket-Eze line is a notable example. At one time the sunk joint was considered to be a sign of quality.

Thats what used to be called a sunk joint. Many older higher end knives were made this way. The Robeson Pocket-Eze line is a notable example. At one time the sunk joint was considered to be a sign of quality.

I've been thinking about this a bit. Whenever something isn't real apparent to me I always refer back to something my dad told me a long time ago; "You can't get something for nothing". The obvious benefit is the back square isn't exposed as much and that is a good thing. The not so obvious problem it might create is now you have a deeper pocket for a lint catch that is harder to keep clean. Another issue might be pure aesthetics. The knife might not look as good when it's open.

It's not a difficult thing to make that area of the handle bigger to hide the back square, so I wonder why more knives aren't made that way? If we could see what that knife looks like when it's open it might help answer the question.

I don't have the answers but it does make me think.

Kerry,

This shot is posted above:

attachment.php

Thanks...my half blind part must be dominant today.:eek:

Boy...if you totally house that back square in a big folder, you are going to have a beefy hand full huh.

Boy...if you totally house that back square in a big folder, you are going to have a beefy hand full huh.

It was no more of a handful than a 4 inch trapper/backpocket knife. In fact, with that crook in the handle, it really fits the hand well. The liners are .050 and that's pretty beefy. He's thinking of going thinner on that. He makes his knives rugged enough to field dress a hog or grizzly bear, because, ummm, that's what he uses them for.

Oh yea, there's no doubt it's well made and would feel good in the hand. I'm just thinking "outloud" (so to speak) about all the implications of totally housing the back square and why we don't see it more.

Oh yea, there's no doubt it's well made and would feel good in the hand. I'm just thinking "outloud" (so to speak) about all the implications of totally housing the back square and why we don't see it more.
Understood. I've been scratching my head about it too. I like copperhead patterns a lot, and its easy to see how the sunken joint is achieved there. Not so easy to see on this one.

I have been admiring Mr. Halfrich's work on his website.

Ford, could you post a link to his website, I can't seem to find it. I was talking to Paul Long (sheathmaker) the other day and he mentioned Mr. Halfrich and was singing his praises. This was the first time I heard his name and then lo and behold threads start appearing about him.

My ears perked up on this :D.

Back