Slipjoint to locking blade conversion - is it feasible??

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience converting slip joints to lockback or linerlock. I have a couple of European knives that are slip joints. I love the design but I would definitely prefer if they were locking blades. I was edc'ing one of them but it almost closed on my fingers one time so I stopped.

aitor-spain-castor-mediana-backpack_1_666a447d4de9d4f572c7527b45046786.jpg

That sounds like a job for cubic dollars. I would just look for similar patterns in already locking or fixed.

But just for fun post pics of these knives.

don't stab with a slipjoint/spring knife, or friction folder, or attempt to cut something using the blade spine, or to spark a ferro rod with one.
when you apply pressure to the spine, they'll close. apply pressure to the edge, and it forces the blade open.

converting to a backlock or liner lock probably isn't a viable option, since it would require a complete redesign and rebuild (with the modifications) of the knife. It would be much less hassle, expense, and time consuming to just buy a lockback or liner lock that you like.

That sounds like a job for cubic dollars. I would just look for similar patterns in already locking or fixed.

But just for fun post pics of these knives.

I agree with Danke. Fiendishly expensive, fiendishly difficult. I think the most you could hope for would be a traditional style liner lock.

Liner locks existed before Michael Walker reinvented them to make them the robust ones they are today. The typical electrician's two blade knife that Camillus made for so many years typically had such a lock. I think Case may still make some of that style. Traditional liner locks did not prevent movement of the blade, the spring did that. The lock just prevented the blade from completely closing.

A true conversion would be impractical due to different tang shapes needed for lockbacks/linerlocks/slipjoints. But, as noted above some manufacturers - also including GEC - have made some slipjoints with linerlocks added; that would be the "easiest" option but requires taking the knife apart and it could be hard to reassemble it with the new liner without battering the scales or bolsters

Back