Small fixed blade over good folder

A little while ago i had a GSO2.7 and sold it. I didnt feel it did anything my Hindere XM18 could do and it was not as "handy" in the pocket. Well after some thought i am seeing the value in a smaller fixed blade. I have used my xm18 on trout a fee times. Just to gut them at the streem side. The folder can be a mess to clean well. A fixed blade would be a simple rins in the stream. I still think something a little bigger than the 2.7 would have been best for me.

This is not really worth starting a whole new thread. But what the hell. It is a slow day for me.

Totally agree, I prefer a fixed blade neck knife over carrying a folder in my pocket as well.
Just picked up a nice user 1st gen 3.5 in 20cv yesterday just for using at the stream.

I've been going back and forth on this for years. ive carried a pocket knife pretty much my whole life. A few years ago i decided i wanted to edc a fixed blade so i went through a few trying to find one i liked that wasent a pita to carry daily. I build elevators so it has to be something that wasn't obtrusive or uncomfortable while working or sitting in ny traffic. I found the Bradford guardian 3 with the leather cross draw sheath and it was pretty much perfect right from the get go. I think i carried it exclusively for about a year and a half before i got the folder itch again.

I only stopped carrying it because i liked some of the new folders that were coming out and i like to rotate my edc. Now i alternate between a steel will cutjack, cpk edc, spyderco lw manix 2. I really like the cpk edc ive got 3 different sheaths for it trying to find that perfect carry. I think that's really what it comes down to is the sheath and how comfortable it is for you. If it's not comfortable you're not going to want to carry it. I'll always prefer a small fixed with a good sheath to a folder

I carry a pocket folding knife, and it is fantastic for most cutting jobs. But, I sure as heck have a small fixed blade on me when I am doing messy work! I go fishing a lot, and after gutting a few steelhead, all you have to do is take a sponge, soap up handle and all, and rinse and apply oil if needed. Folders are a PITA if you get them full of guts, slime, and blood!
I always tell myself, if water and the air compressor air gun will not take care of it afterward, use a fixed blade. Simple rule of thumb.
Wish I had a 2.7. If anyone has an extra, I would buy it.

I kind of EDC a multitool and that is enough blade for me, but if I wanted a day to day blade that would be used often I can use the folders I have with one hand and really without looking. My 2.7 needs both hands and my eyeballs to sheath and resheath or at least it DID until @grogimus hooked me up with a custom leather pocket sheath. That makes a small fixed blade way more useable for me.

For what I do outside, I'd definitely prefer a fixed blade like the 2.7 so I can do whatever cutting and stabbing and prying and batoning (?) I want without having to worry about precious moving parts.

I have a number of fixed blades in the 3 - 4 inch range that I carry/use regularly. I'd carry larger; but, well, laws & stuff.

I still think something a little bigger than the 2.7 would have been best for me.

You might like a 3.5. I like it a little better than the 2.7 for trout duty, but I do like both.

Pictures! :)

d5Uj3rc.jpg

esvzvf3.jpg

I guess I'm kind of the opposite. I prefer a folder in anything up to 3.5" mostly because I don't work where I can as easily get away with carrying a fixed blade (although I did carry my 2.7 for awhile, and a small custom by Josh Gallardo). Now both of those are gone, replaced with folders.

I do reeeeaaaalllyy want a SK 3.5 when those are available though.

I like carrying a folder for the compactness but with anything more than a few minutes of use, I much rather a small fixed blade. The flat handles of the folder which make it so easy to keep in my pocket make for an uncomfortable experience with prolonged use.

Last edited:
Back