1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Small Game Skinning

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by TedderX, Mar 12, 2017.

1. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
  2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    If you want a classic small game knife, probably the best ever was the USA made Schrade Sharpfinger, Model 152, in carbon steel. They are all over the auction sites in all manor of condition. Pick the one in your price range and never look back.

3. Mack

Mack Sailin' a reach, before a followin' sea... Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    The little skinner in the center here is my latest from Richard J. Between it and the large one I should be able to skin anything on this planet.

[​IMG]

4. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I've skinned and butchered scores of squirrels and rabbits and I have noticed a few things:

(1) As has been said before, generally any knife will work. I have used a Kershaw Leek, Case Medium Stockman, Esee Izula, Mora...something..., Dawson Pocketknife, and so forth to similar effect.

(2) I realized that I prefer to use knives with relatively small, thin and wickedly shard blades so that I can make precise cuts in little nooks/crevices as I see necessary. Therefore I would recommend a case stockman, trapper or any small, thin, pointy, and sharp fixed blade to get the job done (though the Dawson Pocketknife is my personal favorite).

(3) I usually start by making a skin-deep slit up each of the hind-quarters from the pelvis to the paws, carefully peeling the hide off of the back legs. Then, once I've separated the hide from the muscles around the hip/pelvis, the best thing to do is grab the hind-legs in one hand and pull the hide back towards the head and peel it off like a sock, making small slices where needed to keep moving.

There are a multitude of ways to skin a varmint, so pick the one you like best and master it. Happy hunting.

5. ghostrider1

ghostrider1

Apr 7, 2005
    I was unable to pm you. I am very interested in this knife. Would like some figured desert ironwood scales. Is this doable

gdpolk likes this.
  6. gdpolk

gdpolk

Sep 19, 2011
    Sure is. Shoot me your phone number to my email. [email protected]

7. ghostrider1

ghostrider1

Apr 7, 2005
    Sent

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. dipbait

dipbait

Feb 9, 2008
    I know they will all work . Which knife do you think would do the easiest work of squirrel and rabbit ?

[​IMG]

9. Goose 7279

Goose 7279 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2015
    I think that schrade sharpfinger

dipbait likes this.
  10. GingivitisKahn

GingivitisKahn

Jun 8, 2010
    Third from the left gets my vote. It's small, handy and pointy. Good to go. You're right though - any would be fine.

jmh33 and dipbait like this.
  11. Mack

Mack Sailin' a reach, before a followin' sea... Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Any of these could do the job well.
    From the largest squirrels to the smallest elephants.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  12. SkrufKnifer

SkrufKnifer

Oct 27, 2012
    I vote 3rd from left

I've used a bunch of different knives for small game from prarie dogs, wabbits,Jack rabbits, squirrels, marmont, and javealinas. Buck110 worked well, I really like my GEC Bullbuster right now. I've used a SAK pioneer, opinel 8, sodbuster Jrs, condor kephart, ESEE 4, CRKT M21, Avispa, OKC SP1 & 12" Machete and most recently a Buck 501

dipbait likes this.