Small Impulse opnion

I was back at the store and put one through its paces. This is more of an opinion piece than a review as I didn't buy it, just handled it.

They have it priced at $34.95.

This had a satin plain blade.

The knife is probably even beefier than it's bigger brother on a relative basis. It has a nice heft and balance in the hand, and there was no flex through the handle or pivot. The blade operated smoothly with no wobble or play with a tight lock up that passed the spine whack and other recommended liner lock tests. The ball detent was strong without being aggressive.

The fit and finish are in the same category as you are used to from the earlier impulse.

I was disappointed that the clip side was not as sculpted as on the full size model. Instead the whole scale is thinned out for the area where the clip operates and returns to full thickness below the clip. This time, the clip had no sharp points for snagging on clothes though.
smile.gif

Opening the blade was a little restricted when using the first hole. It just didn't track a path my thumb muscles are used to is probably a fairer critique. I liked opening it better from the second hole.

It was a very sharp sample. I am generally not a fan of hollow grinds, but the impulses have performed better than my bias can justify. From my short term handling, I expect this slighty thinner blade should do as well or better.

I liked how the handle felt in the hand. I liked the somewhat bulky characteristics of the knife in this size. It was reminiscent of the BM705 in this regard, a knife I really enjoy carrying. The small impulse gets credit for its clip being unobtrusive in the hand. I carry the 705 in the pocket without a clip because the clip was annoying to me on that knife. The small impulse can keep its clip and still remain fully comfortable.

It could be a pretty dressy knife and would be a popular item I predict if you offered it in different anodized colors and with a colored clip, perhaps with an accenting color on the pivot. It still has lots of visual flair in the color offered.

Even though inexpensive, it hasn't fit in my budget yet, but the handling time has ratcheted the small impulse upwards on my list of desired knives.

At this price point, with the great design, styling and size, it makes a great gift for the non-knife crowds or the knife enthusiast, especially at this time of year. The release of this knife is well timed if you can get it into the stores in front of people for them to see it and then buy it.

Phil
phatch@xmission.com

I got a few in the other day. Yew they are beefier than the big un. i like um .

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
NEW WEB SITE TAKE A LOOK!!!!!!!!!
New projects and pics to look at !!!!

I just bought one of those myself, and am enthralled with it. Very well designed and well made. This knife is superior to its big brother, and could be a big hit if marketed properly. It has a very distinctive look and is the ideal size for a daily carry pocket knife.

Back